Sunday, September 24, 2006

I GOT LINKED TO ON DEADSPIN!!!!!

Now that that's out of the way, I'll tell you why, and extend a special welcome to anyone who actually clicked that link. Deadspin has something called the Hugh Johnson project, which basically entails readers submitting their witty comments on the day in college football. Two comments I submitted made it on the site, and here I am, rambling about it. The comments involved Pam Ward and the Indiana-UCONN game. The jokes practically write themselves.
So anyways, thanks for stopping by. A little introduction to any new readers. I'm from Minnesota, and am therefore a hardcore Twins and Wild fan. I went to Purdue, so I follow the Colts and Boilermakers as well. My degree is in meteorology, but right now, I mostly sit on my ass. The site is mostly sports, although every once in a while, I mercilessly lay into my local newspaper. Naturally, I'm prone to talking about my favorite TV shows once in a while too. It's my blog, and I'll write what I want to. And that was clearly the coolest thing I could have said.
In any case, I really wanted to talk about the Gophers-Boilermakers game, because I might be the only person in the country to have a vested interest in both teams. It was my first chance to have a look at the Boilermakers, and after seeing scores that alleged close ball games with powerhouses like Miami (OH) and Indiana St., I was skeptical of their chances. After watching this game, and despite the fact that they won, I'm not impressed by Purdue. They played an extremely tight game with a team with no defense and an offense that wasn't executing, and they still just nosed past the Gophers. And what's going on with that "blackout" they kept talking about? Purdue went from trying the all gold uniforms (which looked awful) which didn't intimidate anybody and left an entire campus looking ridiculous in their student section apparel to this. Apparently Purdue hired some marketing people and now they are wearing the black uniforms and letting their student section look intimidating instead of like pixies.
In any case, pixies could have beat the Gophers. Bryan Cupito did an excellent job finding the wide open 20 yard line a few times, but inaccuracy wasn't the only problem. Ernie Wheelright had a hell of a time bringing in passes, and led directly to a key Purdue interception. It was almost as if Minnesota threw the game. However, if Minnesota can get their run blocking in order and their receivers start catching and their defense to defend, they may be able to beat Michigan at home next week. And if Notre Dame lays down like the Gophers did, and Purdue can force 4+ turnovers, Purdue can beat the Irish.
And if I concentrate really hard, I can fly just by waving my arms. - Ryan

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I was actually at the Purdue-Minnesota game but pretty drunk so I'll just take your word for it on the analysis. Oh yeah, and more importantly, I got on TV. That's right, it's all about me. Boiler Up!

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home