Friday, September 15, 2006

Preliminary Thoughts on the NFL Season.

This past week, I saw the Dolphins/Steelers game from Greeley, Colorado, the Sunday games from Albuquerque and the Monday night games from Lubbock. So really, my opinions that you will see will be from about four states. So clearly, that gives them more value.

First, and of more local concern, is the Vikings. If you operate under the misguided assumption that the Redskins are a good team (despite the fact that their defense lost skill players and only added Adam Archuleta and their receiving corps consists of long ball threats when their quarterback is lucky if he can get it past 15 yards consistently), then the Vikings were impressive. I don't operate under that assumption, and I think that the Vikings looked pretty bad, actually. Given the money spent on the offensive line, the running game was dissapointing and the faith put in Troy Williamson is already scary. The scariest part is that there is nobody behind him. If Tavaris Jackson is worth anything and the Vikings can add a real receiver though, they look to have a window around 2008-2010 to get some things accomplished.

So let me get this straight. Ben Roethlisberger motorcycles into a sedan. Then, thinking he's set to go, he gets appendacitis. But still, Bill Cowher keeps saying that Big Ben will be coming back. Don't you understand Pittsburgh? God clearly wants Charlie Batch to play quarterback! And he performed with his three touchdown passes. Also, I think that the Steelers may be a little better than I thought.

The most important game that I watched, for my own well being anyways was the Denver/St. Louis game. It revealed much of what was already expected. Jake Plummer is still just as bad as he has always been and last year was a fluke. Gary Kubiak was propping up the running game, and neither Bell, Tatum nor Mike, can keep hope alive. Assuming Ladanian Tomlinson doesn't get hurt and the Chiefs figure out a strategy (GIVE IT TO LARRY!), the Broncos look to be cruising for a bruising.

As I already mentioned, the Chargers desperately need LT to be a superhero in San Diego. But at least they get another game against what may be the 0-16 Raiders. Troy Smith will look good in Silver and Black.

The Manning Bowl was about what I expected. BORING. Eli and Peyton are boring. Peyton is too good, and Eli is just vapid an uninteresting. No match for Dane Cook's special on HBO. What do you say when an atheist sneezes if they are offended by "God bless you"?

So I mentioned Gary Kubiak. He's now coaching the Texans, and he is an offensive genius. Now I fully realize why the Texans didn't go after Reggie Bush. Kubiak can build a 1000 yard rusher with anyone, so why waste a pick on Bush to play a position I would be able to succeed in with Kubiak's offense? No, you go after positions where, with Kubiak, you need some skill, and while Mario Williams is still raw, second round pick Demeco Ryans was impressive. Besides, Dominick Davis wasn't supposed to get hurt. Next year look for the Texans to draft an OG or OT.

Lastly, because I feel I'm obliged to mention all the games I saw this past weekend, the Jaguard offense doesn't look so healthy. Lo and behold, they have Mike Tice on the sideline! Curious. I wonder if he's blown away by the fact that no, Byron Leftwich doesn't want to go rent a boat and find some hookers with him. But really, Drew Bledsoe is going to be up and down this year (like always) Terrell Owens will go ballistic and the Cowboys will stumble in at 8-8, with their defense keeping them in most games. The Jaguars might also make some noise.

Much to your collective chagrin, I hope to do weekly recaps on Tuesdays. This will be in addition to more general recaps on Mondays and other posts sneaking in here and there at other days in the week. I have a lot of time on my hands. - Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home