Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A good look at at least 5 bad teams.

Back into the normal swing of things in the football season, so, mercifully for all my readers (whom I suspect don't give two Pete Rose signed baseballs about football) this little summary will be shorter than last weeks. Assisting the length, or lack thereof, is the fact that my cable was out for Monday night's game, which according to everything I've heard, is probably best for me.

The Vikings continue to fail to impress me. I'm not sure that local sports fans should even look at the Vikes yet, and continue to focus on a good thing in the Twins. Hey! They're going to make the playoffs! That's fun! When the Twins' season is over, the Vikings will be 3-5 behind an average of 5 points a game out of the offense. This is good that the fans will start showing up at this point so the letdown won't be so severe. Right now, Ryan Longwell has thrown as many touchdowns as Brad Johnson. Thats the only statistic you need.

The Broncos beat the Chiefs by a in a battle of field goals (in case you are counting, of the games shown locally, two of them combined had 8 field goals and no touchdowns). Of course, one would expect a shoddy offensive performance from Damon Huard, and he didn't do that bad, but the Broncos proved, once again, that they aren't very good. They beat a beat down Chiefs team at home behind the strength of three field goals. They have won once, based solely on luck. When Trent Green comes back and checks off of plays Herm Edwards the Chiefs are going to be much better than the woeful Broncos.

I mentioned last week that the Cowboys looked a little shaky. Well, even though they won by 17 points, they definitely lacked something. When the Redskins kept floundering and giving the Cowboys chances, they failed to put the 'skins away, making mistakes of their own. If Bill Parcells were alive today, there is no way he would stand for that. In any case, I'm willing to forgive the Redskins, who were playing without star running back Clinton Portis, but the Cowboys were ugly.

So that's it. As Steve said the other day, we know who's bad, but we don't really know who's good yet. That's why they play the games. - Ryan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact I would highly value Pete Rose signed baseballs (Put him in the Hall!!!!) and I much prefer the NFL to baseball.

Also...WHO-DEY!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I just noticed now that you referenced me in this post...if this site takes off and you wind up on espn.com, I'll be more than happy to be the House to your Sports Guy. Just come up with some strange Bostonian-Irish nickname for me and we're set.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home