Friday, September 01, 2006

NFL Preview, Part 7: NFC South

The NFC South is definitely the best division in the NFC, top to bottom. I would even warrant to say that it is unrivaled in football. The only bad team in the division will see it's record plummet do to a difficult in conference schedule, but will actually be better than most people will expect. Teams listed yadda yadda....

Carolina Panthers - I understand why the hype surrounds this team, but I'm not totally sold on the Panthers. First, my friend Eric is a huge Panthers fan, and generally speaking, things sports related don't tend to go his way. Secondly, the glaring holes on this team are at linebacker and their shaky quarterback. Now, on a team like the Cardinals, the shaky QB doesn't seem to be a concern because the expectations are lower, but in Charlotte, the buzz is that this is a Super Bowl team. I don't see that happening, despite all the talent around. Third, the Falcons are going to push Carolina a lot harder than people expect.
Atlanta Falcons - I like the Falcons, but I usually do. I think it's because I'm a fan of the 3-4 defense, and the Falcons have it perfected. With quick end John Abraham added to the mix, the defense will only get better, especially against the run. Of course, this won't help against the Panthers, but the Falcons frantic offense should keep them in games when facing Carolina. Michael Vick now has Ashley Lelie to throw to if the situation warrants, and I just have a good feeling that this squad will win a lot of low scoring games.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - While the Bucs' passing attach has never been good, and will continue to remain awful, they have added Cadillac Williams last season, and despite my first inklings, he seems to be working out. He should add enough offense to keep the Bucs in games, and the defense, still a big play defense after all these years, will win them games. This is an 8-8 team if I've ever seen one.
New Orleans Saints - I like New Orleans because they added Drew Brees at quarterback, although I wish they would have added more talent by dealing their pick for Reggie Bush or letting Deuce McCallister go. There is no need for a split back system, especially when the backs are as talented as they are. Suffice to say that the offensive component they sent to Philadelphia (Donte Stallworth) was the wrong one. For both teams, really. Inj any case, the Saints have the potential for a potent offense, though it may be a year out, and their defense is still no good.

There is your second wild card team, the Falcons. Although a key injury in this division would really scramble things up. The only team that could survive, I think is the Panthers, who have one of the deepest teams in the league.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home