Wednesday, September 07, 2011

I guess you want an NFL Preview

The NFL season begins tomorrow evening, with a game between the Packers and the Saints. I am going to run through this quickly, like the Big Ten preview last week. 

NFC West
Rams
Seahawks
49ers
Cardinals

The hype train is coming on strong for the Cards, and I don't know why. They added Kevin Kolb, but lost their non-Fitzgerald receivers, their defense is weaker and they don't have a running game. The Rams are, somehow, the most complete team, while I like the Seahwaks defense, and think the 49ers are just better than Arizona.

NFC North
Packers
Lions
Bears
Vikings

I don't think the Pack is as elite so much as they got hot at the right time last year. That said, the Bears took a step back and the Lions are better but not yet good. The Packers will run away with the division.

NFC South
Falcons
Saints
Buccaneers
Panthers

Of course, the Panthers might be the division champs, given the way this division usually works. That said, I really like the Falcons. Adding Julio Jones gives the Falcons a more diverse offense, and their defense got a lot of work. The Saints just don't scare me. I would pick the Bucs to get 2nd before picking the Saints to win.

NFC EAST
Eagles
Cowboys
Giants
Redskins

The Eagles probably won't take down the division. Too much hubris. But too much talent for me to take another team.The Cowboys might make it back to the playoffs if they can stay healthy. The more I read about the Giants, I worry about their prospects, but my gut tells me they will be at least relevant. The Redskins will be irrelevant.

AFC WEST
Chargers
Raiders
Chiefs
Broncos

Doesn't it kill you to see the Chargers or Raiders at the top of the list? I think the Chiefs will struggle against a tougher, 1st place schedule, and the Broncos are going to struggle without a running game The division as a whole will be much better than anyone expects, though.

AFC NORTH
Ravens
Browns
Steelers
Bengals

WHAT?! Did I just do this because I have developed a disdain for Pittsburgh? Maybe. But I think Ray Rice is going to run his way to the playoffs. I am a HUGE Colt McCoy fan, and I really think that he might be the quarterback to turn the Browns around, even if it is a brief turn around. It's a young, hungry defense that will only mean an improvement. The Steerlers are getting older, especially on D, and they don't seem to want to try to infuse youth. If they struggle this year, it will only be for one year. The Bengals continue to have cool helmets.

AFC SOUTH
Texans
Colts
Titans
Jaguars

Now that Peyton Manning is out for week 1, I wonder when he will be back, and when he does come back, when he will be effective. The Colts are lost without him. The Titans and Jaguars are also reexamining their QB situation this season, while the Texans are the only team with any stability. I don't think Arian Foster will be as strong this season as last, but he is going to be complimented by Ben Tate.

AFC EAST
Jets
Patriots
Bills
Dolphins

The Dolphins might be the worst team in football. The Bills, at least, have some youth on offense and a QB that they didn't actively try to replace this offseason. I like the Jets to win this division, owing in large part to their relative age compared to the Patriots.

PLAYOFFS
Rams over Saints
Packers over Cowboys
Patriots over Texans
Ravens over Raiders

Falcons over Rams
Packers over Eagles
Ravens over Chargers
Patriots over Jets

Falcons over Packers
Ravens over Patriots

Interesting. I don't ever look that far ahead when trying to figure out the post season, so a Ravens-Falcons Super Bowl surprises me too. I will take the Falcons to win.

Julio Jones as Rookie of the Year, Ray Rice for MVP. And there you have it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home