Saturday, May 17, 2008

Twins Introduced to Coors Field, Carlos Gomez Introduced to Wall

AP Photo/David Zalubowski

Last night, the Twins made their first-ever trip to Coors Field. To their dismay, they were not showered in beer upon arriving. Somehow I though that was a custom over there, too. Apparently not -- but it should be. In all actuality, Coors Field turned out to be just like every other major league stadium except, you know, the whole altitude thing.

The game was close the whole way but the Twins did take a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the ninth. The play of the game was made at the last moment, as Rockies' catcher Yorvit Torrealba (is there a more random assortment of letters anywhere else?) hit one to deep center with a man on and two out. Being a naive and uninformed baseball fan, I would imagine the darned thing would leave the park and keep going with the thinner air and what not (you mean they can't hit the ball to the moon??). Suffice to say, Torii Hunter Jr. Carlos Gomez did not approve. He threw himself at the outfield wall, making a spectacular catch in the process. Remnants of the collision are posted above.

I can't find the video on YouTube, but head over to MLB.com and check it out. It's worth it and it really makes me appreciate outfielders. Seriously, the dude just hurled himself into the wall. It was like watching a bird fly into a glass window, except somehow premeditated. I'm just glad that Gomez came out of this collision more or less alright. Bruised, yes, but not of the Aaron Rowand wall smashing variety.
Twins center fielder Carlos Gomez had both wrists wrapped, a sore lip because he had just bit it and a slight headache.

...

"I run to the ball and when I see it, I said to myself, 'Jump,' " Gomez said.

He caught the ball, smacked into the wall and tumbled to the ground. Game over.

"When I catch it, I say, 'Oh, no way,' " Gomez said.

"Oh, no way."

When even you don't believe what you've just done, I'd say that's pretty impressive. Imagine LeBron James going 'oh, no way,' after dunking on Kevin Garnett as if all of a sudden awakening from a lucid dream. But to be fair, I have that same reaction every time I get half off imports during happy hour. It's that exciting.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home