Thursday, May 15, 2008

A toast

I'm not much for public speaking (which is why I do this instead of the TV thing), so hopefully this does it justice.

One of my favorite parts of this site is reading what other people have to say. I think Beth has an innate way of giving unique perspective to statistics while still maintaining a childish enthusiasm for athletics that makes her posts fun to read. I appreciate commentors who log on to tell me how they agree with me, tell me how much I suck, or simply engage in a debate with me. Then, of course, there's Steve.
The thing I appreciate the most about Steve is that, even after knowing him for 5 years and writing with him off an on for over three, he still continues to surprise me. Steve, like most Purdue graduates, is an engineer, which lends itself to certain stereotypes. Instead of being obsessed with numbers, though, Steve brings engineering into his sports writing by introducing an acute sense of detail. What some of us would describe as "creativity" Steve, I'm sure, would just view as being really aware and having a good memory. It's really a shame that he doesn't have more time to lend to writing here, because he would certainly be sensational.
If you aren't appreciative of the nuances of sports, then Steve could rub you the wrong way, as he is always ready to talk sports and has an incredible sports database tucked away in his brain. One of the first times we met, a mutual friend told me to ask a random sports question, like when was the last time Villanova was in the Final Four, and Steve would be able to answer it. I don't remember exactly the question I asked, but I do know that he answered it correctly, and I was then forever in awe of Steve's sports prowess (not to be confused with athletic prowess, of which he has none. With none being a generous assessment).
In the perfect male blogger world, those traits would be the perfect aphrodisiac for women, and for Steve, it has been. Yes, our little Steve-o is all grown up, and he's getting married this weekend, and I couldn't be happier for him. Best of luck and congratulations to Steve and the future Mrs. Steve. Mazel Tov.

In case you hadn't guessed, I will be headed down to the wedding this weekend. If you need me, I'll be the guy in Indianapolis with the tux and the .12 BAC. The Times will not lie dormant, thank goodness, because we've still got Beth and a couple of guests on Saturday and Sunday. See you Tuesday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home