Thursday, May 15, 2008

Money, money, money...

This morning, Ryan referred to my "unique perspective to statistics" and "childish enthusiasm" when it came to sports. I take that as a compliment. The reality is, sports are supposed to be something we enjoy. I enjoy going to games. I've been to my share of horrible games in my day, but nonetheless, I'll pay, because you never know what's going to happen.

Speaking of paying money to attend games, the Washington Nationals are in a bit of a quandary. Apparently, they’re filling more seats than it might look to those watching from home. Why? The seats behind home plate, those most visible to the television audience, are sparsely populated.

It’s explained here. The Nationals expected these seats to be sold to lobbyists, who in turn would give them to government people. Except that there are limits now on the value of gifts given, and the lobbyists can no longer give away these seats. The blog linked offers suggestions of how the Nationals can fill their $325 ($335 Saturday; $400 front row) seats. It’s a bit odd, though, for me to think of paying more for *one* game than I pay for my 81-game season tickets. However, we should be relieved to know that A-Rod could attend 846,153.85 Nationals game (or 820,895.52 Saturday games or 687,500 games in the front row!).

But, hey, not filling one area is a whole lot better than the Marlins, who are averaging 14,980 fans per game. The Nationals average over 29,000.

Confidential to the Red Sox fan sitting behind me on Monday: The Red Sox are not the only team in baseball that would waste a lead-off double. The Twins have turned that into an art form.

Scott Baker may be heading for a re-hab stint soon. It’s hard to say. Nonetheless, the period of mourning continues.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

It was certainly intended as a compliment. Childish probably should have been child-like. In any event, keep up the good work!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home