Thursday, December 06, 2007

Carl Pohlad: fiscally responsible

This is a Devil's Advocate post. Whether or not I believe in what I'm writing--or how much I believe in what I'm writing--depends on my mood, the day, the time, the weather, and any other factor I deem relevant. Consider this open for discussion.

Carl Pohlad is said to be the biggest miser in major league baseball. He doesn't spend enough money on the team he owns--the Twins.

Baseball is Carl Pohlad's hobby. Yes, it's public and somewhat of a business, but nevertheless, a hobby. It's not where he makes his money, and it's not his home, his education, his family, or his food. It's not a necessity in life. Yes, the man has a ton of money, and yes, I'd love to see him spend more of it on the Twins. But we have no right to demand it.

Let's put it in perspective. If Carl Pohlad's net worth is $3.1 billion, and the Twins payroll was around $70 million last year, that would equal 1/43 of his money was spent on the Twins last year. (I know he doesn't pay the $70 million salaries--in fact, most years he claims he breaks even or loses money on the Twins, but doubtfully to the tune of $70 million. But since I don't know those figures, I have to go with what I have.)

When you consider that, then consider how much the average fan spends on the Twins each year. My total for 2007--tickets, jerseys, shirts, etc.--probably cost me 1/80 of my salary (pre-tax; note, this is not my net worth). That's half of what the Twins "cost" Pohlad. Why should I begrudge Pohlad for spending a greater amount, and a greater percentage, of money on his hobby than I spend on it?

The man is being responsible with his money. He's not spending it all for a moment of glory to have the team he owns win--that is, he's not buying a championship (which is never guaranteed anyway). I don't want another Steinbrenner, buying free agents every year. I'd like the Twins to keep star home-grown players (under which Johan Santana falls, since he came to the majors with the Twins). But with everything, there's give and take.

I still wish there were enough money to keep all the young stars.

I've got nothing. Johan Santana is still a Minnesota Twin, which is nice for me as a Twins fan. But there's nothing to talk about. Some nice trades, but the rumors are too various, and too often contradicted, to discuss intelligently. I have no problems being irrational, but I'd like to be informed.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger dawnmarie said...

I like this post.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home