Friday, December 14, 2007

I am fairly confused by the busy off-season

Bill Smith went out today and proved he's no Terry Ryan. After assessing the team and seeing that we didn't really have much to offer on the left side of the infield, he went out and signed two former Astros, Adam Everett yesterday and Mike Lamb today. Wait. Two former Astros? That would explain the new logo:

This marks the first time the Twins have had an opening day third baseman who played that position the previous year in the major leagues since Corey Koskie. No. Really.
So anyways, we now have a potential new starter at left field (or DH), center field, third base, short stop and second base. I'm excited. This team may not be dynamite, but the changes will certainly captvate me. Gleeman had a good point in his post on Everett, saying that Bill Smith clearly doesn't focus on loyalty and takes risks, unlike his predecessor, traits that will likely serve him well in the long haul. In any case, my uninformed opinion has this as our batting order next year (as it stands today).
2b Harris
C Mauer
CF Young
RF Cuddyer
1b Moneau
3b Lamb
LF Monroe
DH Kubel
SS Everett

That, my friends, is a completely revamped lineup. Me likey.
By the way, I suspect Everett's mother's maiden name is Keebler. Just sayin'.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My predictions for the division:

Detroit 131-31
Minnesota 90-72
Cleveland 89-73
Kansas City 70-92
Chicago 65-97

Just a ballpark(no pun intended) estimate, give or take 20 games. Detroit is shaping up to be the front runner right now, I think they will be very solid. I am looking forward to the new season, should be fun!!! GO TWISTROS!!!

7:37 PM  
Blogger thisisbeth said...

On the other hand, sometimes loyalty is warranted. Would Bill Smith have left Justin Morneau at first after 2005 or gone out looking for a different first baseman? ;)

I think there's a place for loyalty, and I don't think that Smith is crossing that line yet, and I hope he doesn't. Too much loyalty brings you Luis Rivas. Too little loyalty loses Justin Morneau after a poor first full season.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I should have said that TR was loyal to a fault. Bill Smith doesn't let loyalty get in the way of things that need to be done to make this team better.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home