Wednesday, January 05, 2011

A look at the Wild Card round

There is still football coming up this weekend, and it's the post season! In honor of that, I thought I would change course and do something I rarely do... provide insightful game analysis for the 4 games being played this weekend. Let's take a look at the 4 games to enjoy this weekend.

New Orleans at Seattle: Much has been made about the Seahawks 7-9 record, and how they will only be afterthoughts in the postseason this year, just a team for the Saints to roll over. I couldn't disagree more! I know the Seahwaks haven't done much this season, but they do have a few of the components that may make this an interesting game. First off, it is in Seattle, and the Seahawks are notoriously difficult to play in Washington. Second, they have a young, aggressive defense which, if they get the scheme right, could end up causing Drew Brees and his receivers some problems. Third, they have about 19 running backs, all of which could help keep the ball out of the hands of the Saints. And lastly, they have Matt Hasselbeck, a Super Bowl veteran guiding the way. All that said, I still expect the Saints to win, but I don't think it's going to be the bloodbath many are picking.
PICK:

New York Jets at Indianapolis Colts: Going into the playoffs, I desperately wanted the Colts to play the Jets in what I expected to be a much more winnable contest. Peyton Manning doesn't struggle against good defenses. He can out think them and beat them with little problem. This is why the Ravens never seem to beat Indianapolis. The problem the Colts have is with methodical offenses that move the ball down the field. It takes the ball out of the offense's hands, and the Colts have to score. There is added pressure, and it takes the team out of rhythm. The Jets don't have a good methodical offense. Despite the defense, I expect the Colts, and especially Peyton Manning, to be relaxed enough to be successful this weekend.
PICK:





Baltimore Ravens at Kansas City Chiefs: I know I picked the Chiefs to make it to this point, but I also know when to quit when I'm ahead. The Ravens should be able to shut Jamaal Charles down, and the Chiefs passing game is simply too dependent on the run to be effective without him. The Ravens are figuring out how to move the ball, and more importantly, keep the ball. I expect this one to be fairly low scoring, but not close, if that makes any sense.
PICK:

Green Bay Packers at Philadelphia Eagles: This game has the possibility of being an epic. The Packers had a shootout last year with the Cardinals last year, but are better this year. They have speedy linebackers, which may help to contain Michael Vick. If they can do that, then a healthy Aaron Rodgers should have no problem moving the ball on the Eagles' secondary and Green Bay could win it easily. The Eagles, if Vick is the dual threat people expect, will stay in this game, and it will be a wild one. Still, I expect the Packers have the better tools to win this contest, and will move on from Philadelphia.
PICK:

So that leads to the following games for the Divisional playoffs: 

Indianapolis @ Piitsburgh
Baltimore @ New England

New Orleans @ Chicago
Green Bay @ Atlanta

Let's see how this goes. I expect to be 0-4

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home