Thursday, August 12, 2010

I am a criminal


So last night, I was on my way home from Real Job Inc, and getting ready to pull into my street when I saw the cherries and berries behind me. I was getting pulled over! The street I had been on had a speed limit so slow on a 4 lane street that it's hard to NOT speed, so I knew I was busted. Bad luck to be sure.
The officer came to my window and said right off the bat that "I wasn't blowing the doors off people, but I was going 45 in a 35 earlier. I wasn't going to get a ticket, but could I provide my license and proof of insurance?"
Now here are two fun facts: I moved to my new place last December and haven't updated my ID. Also, I keep all of my old Proofs of Insurance in my glovebox, and I had a tough time finding the insurance card. In fact, I never found the current one. I did pretty much everything wrong with this stop. I had been speeding, I had an invalid license and despite my best efforts, I never provided my ACTUAL proof of insurance.
I was probably tagged to be pulled over because my car looks like garbage, but upon getting to the car and talking to me, seeing that my ID just had the wrong address and that I wasn't acting erratically, the astute officer of the law (as any astute officer of the law would) surmised that my ID issues, Proof of Insurance issues weren't a big deal and let me go. I was just lazy and disorganized, not some sort of ruthless bandit.
I think this is an important lesson to so many athletes of the day. Most cops are reasonable people. When they pull people over, most of the time they either A) are legitimately pulling you over because you are going way too fast or B) are trying to prevent any suspicious activity. Act earnestly and do whatever the cops ask. If you don't give them a reason to be suspicious, they won't be suspicious. I have no sympathy for an athlete that flips out when he gets pulled over. Just try and help the guy out, and you'll be on your way in 5 minutes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home