Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cooking with Ryan: Burgers

I recently got a grill from a friend, and I finally decided to put it to good use, grilling up some burgers. I was going to mix up some seasoning (garlic salt and pepper... pretty good), fry up some bacon and make some bacon cheeseburgers. I learned quite a bit with this one. I had never really used a charcoal grill before; the few times I would grill it was on a gas grill. The most important lesson was being patient and waiting for the coals to get hot.
I also learned from The Weather Channel (what?) who was showing a "cooking outside" segment on Saturday morning that to appropriately season a piece of meat you are grilling, you need to make sure you can see the seasoning, whereas this is too much for cooking indoors (I can attest to that, too). It was pretty great, the end result. You could definitely taste the garlic in the burger and it went well with the rest of the condiments and fixin's.
Of course, my friend Eric (Panthers_24, for both of you that read the comments) did a lot of the grill monitoring because I am not a good host. He tried to put a tomato on his burger at one point, which promptly slid off and hit the porch. before Eric could pick it up and toss it into the shrubbery, my dog came and... laid down right on top of it. Why would a dog feel the need to lay on a tomato? Perhaps she is anticipating a skunk attack.
We tossed the extra tomato and lettuce into the underbrush (or tried, I got some stuck in a tree. I have the throwing accuracy of Jamarcus Russell) thinking that it would be popular with the tiny woodland creatures that I have inhabiting my front yard. All I have now is some sun-dried tomatoes and lettuce,
So I would say this turned out pretty well, the only problem being a dog with a tomato stain.
(No pictures... I think you know what a bacon cheeseburger looks like)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this post!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home