Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm about to sound very old.

Back in my younger days, when I was still in school, teachers would always tell me that I had a gift for writing. After reading this blog for three years or so, I can imagine why you might be surprised. I thought that maybe someday, my gift for the written word would put me in a place of prominence, either as a writer or in business. Alas, instead technology is dumbing down the English language. Instead of appreciating my brilliance, people just decided to get stupider.
Enough. I understand that with text messaging, it behooves us to shorten what we say. That's cool. Still and all, there are a couple of phrases or acronyms that are unnecessary to be texted, and have somehow crept into the lexicon of today's youth. They need to be stopped. The three that immediately come to mind:
"FTW" - If you don't know, this means "For the Win". That's right, someone took the phrase from Hollywood Squares and made it an acronym and put it in everyday use. What bothers me further is that the people that did this were probably only familiar with the Whoopi Goldberg/Bruce Vilanch version of the game. Awful.
"Fail" - When anything goes wrong for anyone, someone has to shout it. It's stupid and I hate it. Bring something new and constructive to the table.
"ROFLCOPTER" - I don't even know what this means. If you put it in a comment, send me an e-mail with it, or say it out loud, I will punch you in the head. If I don't know you, I will do my best to find your IP, figure out who you are, come to you, and punch you in the head.

I'm sure you have more ideas. The internet is full many bad things. Perhaps we can begin to fight back, one grammatical battle at a time.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I understand it in texting, but outside of that, it's you, not U. Too or to, not 2. Are, not R.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Could you imagine talking like that!?! "LOL, OMG I was @ the mall n saw my BFF and we were ROFL!"

Shut up!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Contact me when you go and crack some skulls, I want in!

10:27 AM  
Blogger thisisbeth said...

I'm in, too. In fact, even in texting I can't bring myself to write something like, "u2" unless I'm talking about a British band.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home