Thursday, January 22, 2009

New Bat Rules

Back on September 11, 2008, I wrote about aluminum bats, and the potential than they were more lethal because of the bat speed and so forth. This concerned many officials because of the injury potential at the speedier baseballs hit, giving those in the ball’s path less time to react. At the time, I didn’t discuss the issue in major league baseball: maple bats versus ash bats. It seemed to many that the new maple bats were breaking--shattering, actually--at a higher rate than the traditional ash bats. The splintering caused sharp-edged pieces of wood to fly in many directions, endangering players and fans. MLB has taken care of the issue. They commissioned a study of scientists on maple bats, and believe hitting on the edge grain rather than the face grain of maple bats. (And if you’re like me, you’re wondering what the difference is. This Wikipedia article might help you. Good luck.)

While I would’ve been more likely to place merit on the large-barreled, thin-handled bats being a culprit in breaking, apparently the researchers were able to dismiss that theory. Whether they did it on tests, or just ignored it isn’t reported, although with most geeks I know, they would insist on tests. And as the researchers were less interested in bats breaking and more interested in the shattering of bats, I imagine that the issue is still open in the breaking of bats. It’s something else to be considered, at any rate.

I’m a big fan of tradition, so it should come as no surprise that I prefer ash bats over maple. However, if maple bats are either proved to be as safe as ash bats, or their manufacturing off-sets the issue, I would see no reason to not include them. I don’t think MLB has enough information to ban maple bats, yet, but I definitely think that scientists need to be working on the issue. While safety is important, life is dangerous in general. Not every injury can be prevented without compromising enjoyment. If we wanted safety, we’d be wrapping all the players and fans in bubblewrap, and frankly, I would hate to see the awkward bumblings of players wrapped in bubblewrap--and would hate to try to enjoy an outdoor game in summer whilst wrapped in bubblewrap myself.

However, I will never be in favor of metal bats in the major leagues. I only grudgingly allow it in non-professional ball because of the cost issue. There’s something very solid about hearing a baseball hit a wooden bat, that the tinkle of a baseball hitting an aluminum bat just doesn’t bring.

Timberwolves update: 13-27 (2-1 since last time, 9-12 since McHale). Their win percentage is over 30% and there are SIX teams worse than the T-Wolves out there.

Marian Gaborik Injury Status: It’s the NHL All-Star Break.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home