Thursday, July 03, 2008

All-Star Voting

Ryan's gone! Time to stage a rebellion and take over the blog!

It’s not popular among avid sports fans to say that they’re in favor of fans voting for the All-Star (or Pro Bowl or whatever) players. Fortunately, I’m sitting in the relatively safe environment of the internet, and can stand up and say this: I am in favor of the fans voting for the All-Stars. I just wish the fans weren’t idiots.

Fans persist on voting for guys based on historical performance. I know Jason Varitek was a great catcher. But I know he’s getting into the twilight of his career. He’s no longer the top player in MLB at his position. Kids like Russell Martin, Joe Mauer, and Brian McCann have taken over that role.

David Ortiz continued to garner votes despite the fact that he’s been injured since the end of May, and there’s no saying he’ll be able to play at the All-Star game. His production, although still good, is down from his past years. (Although it’s a relief that he’s gaining the votes in the DH category, rather than at first base.)

And yet, I still can’t complain. The All-Star game isn’t for the players. It’s for the fans. By allowing the fans to vote, you’re making them a part of the game. I also have a feeling that it’s a bit of an honor for the players to be voted in by the fans. Sure, it’s an honor to have the respect of your peers and make the player vote, but how special is it for a guy to gain wide-spread respect across the entire country--or world?

The problem is the blind voting. I don’t mind young children voting for their home team no matter what. There’s something special about childish complete trust and faith in their team and players. But, I’m sorry; I’m a Twins fan, and I love Brendan Harris, but he’s not an All-Star. In my multiple votes, Brendan likely got one vote, but otherwise it went elsewhere (although, to be fair, I can’t remember who anymore). Sure, I give an extra bonus to hometown players. Even if Joe Mauer the clear-cut American League best catcher, he still would’ve gotten my vote, because he’s been outstanding. There are arguments over the best first baseman, among them Justin Morneau, so my vote can go that way.

I also wish there was a way to limit things to one vote per person. It would give a clearer perspective of the general fan population, but there’s no way around it. Even in the US elections, where there are measures in place to keep people from voting multiple times, I’m sure it still happens (I don’t know how, but I read stories every once in a while).

At any rate, fan voting is good. Having one player from each team is good.

Also, I’m a little frustrated with the sports writers who write off the Twins record because they went 14-4 against the National League. Every other American League team faced the National League, too. I’m not saying that they’re playoff contenders, but it’s not like they had an unfair advantage to gain their record. I’m off my soapbox now.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home