Saturday, April 05, 2008

Miscellany

I haven't had to post for a while now, but alas, here I am. There are a few things I figured I should mention, just to get it off my chest. So here goes.

- The baseball season is underway, and we have our first ridiculous announcing... thing of the season. I flipped it to the Tigers-White Sox game today on WGN, and heard Darrin Jackson trying to express just how intimidating Tigers reliever Denny Bautista is. DJ described him as seeming to have "three foot arms". Oooh. Do you know what other mystical demon-beast has three foot arms? ME. I have three foot arms. As does every proportionate person of 6' in height. In fact, my arms are longer than that, since I'm 6'3, and Bautista is 6'5. So if anything, DJ was saying Bautista is underproportioned. Which is a pretty strange thing to say.

- While I don't have the footage of that incident, I do have the footage of the strangest interview in recent memory between ESPN's Brian Kenny and the Bengals Chad Johnson. Deadspin gives us the footage. Go ahead and look. Now, there are of course the issues of how big an egotistical prick Johnson comes across as. But then, I can't help but wonder, what exactly is Johnson on? He couldn't answer a single question without repeating one word (he was big on affection), and then Kenny tried to end the train wreck, and Johnson just wanted to continue on the road to nowhere. It was a perplexing series of events.

- Oh, hey, the Final Four begins tomorrow (Saturday) and the Championship game is Monday. This year, all 4 number one seeds made it to the Final Four, which has never happened before. So, what was expected to happen did happen and thats unexpected because the expected should never be expected. Yeah. Anyways, the team that has looked the best during the tournament is probably Kansas, but three of the four teams could stake a claim for that award. UCLA has been consistent, but they haven't really had to play anyone yet. I want Kansas to win, but I think North Carolina will, because sports seem to exist to make me sad.

- In the good news department, the Wild won the Northwest division for the first time in the history of ever. They'll end up facing the Flames of the Avs, and I feel more comfortable with the Avs because I get the notion that the Wild can handle the assorted fragile parts the Avs have better than the couple of good, healthy parts the Flames offer, particularly with Derek Boogaard, Chris Simon, Todd Fedoruk, and Aaron Voros available to break some heads. In any event, congratulations to the Wild, and especially the fans because they have been so devoted through the years.

- Bill James, he of SABR fame has clearly had fame go to his head. I want to call your attention to his newest allegations, but Bugs & Cranks does a much better job addressing them.

- Lastly, tomorrow I am attending the Twins game. I'll be writing about it (as well as the game I went to Thursday) maybe Sunday. Why Sunday? Because tomorrow is my birthday and I plan on being intoxicated.
Additionally, I would be remiss if I didn't congratulate a couple of loyal readers on their wedding tomorrow. Congratulations Dawn and Nick!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home