Wednesday, March 05, 2008

So long to Brett Favre

Brett Favre has left a indelible mark on my life. I've stridently rooted for all Minnesota teams since I was a child until the early 2000s. The Minnesota Vikings took a stance of actively disrespecting their fan base, first by letting good coaches and players get away, having orgies on boats and having an owner very obviously try to move the team to San Antonio. The nail in the me hating the Vikings coffin was when I realized that player for player, I liked the Packers a lot more than I liked the Vikings. How could I truly consider myself a Vikings fan when I liked the most hated rival? I couldn't. Fortunately, I had always been a fan of the Colts and Chargers, thanks to my parents time living in the Indianapolis area and the Chargers being coached in the early 90s by someone who shared my last name. Then I lived in Indiana for 4 years and my fate was sealed. I'm a true blue Colts fan.
But that's beside the point. I found that I liked Brett Favre a heck of a lot more than any of the Vikings QBs during his tenure because he seemed to be a cool and collected passer who kept his nose clean and was loyal to a small Midwestern town. Most importantly, in my mind, he was dedicated not only to winning, but to winning in Green Bay.
Or so I thought.
Take a look at the circumstances of his retirement. He broke pretty much every remaining record that was out there to break. He led his team to the NFC Championship game, only to single handedly lose the game on an overtime interception. Clearly, the team will only be better next year. If he is really concerned about winning, he wouldn't be able to live with costing his team a trip to the Super Bowl last year, especially when the squad is capable of matching the success they had this year.
But no. Brett Favre quit after breaking his personal records. So you know what, Brett? For making me hate a Minnesota team, for rendering my wearing of purple as a youth more feminine than football fan, for encouraging me to follow anything related to Indianapolis more closely than I otherwise would have, I have this to say to you. Brett Favre, you disingenuous piece of crap, you can just go to hell. And take your jorts with you.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I said going into last season, Brett Favre will break every record he can, and regardless of the outcome, will retire after this year. I guess I was right. Anyway, I am glad he got every record he could and couldn't careless that his last pass was an interception. Although, he does have another record....most interceptions!!! But wouldn't you think he would want to go out on top, a la John Elway? Guess not, see ya Brett! Thanks for shutting up those stupid Vikings fans when you figured out how to win in the dome!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home