Saturday, January 19, 2008

Yes, I'm still going to Louisiana


In honor of Beth's recent post on something I don't know anything about, I'm going to post something on a topic I think pretty much only I care about. That's right, its time for an update on the Denver Pioneers and the Louisiana North Dakotas... I mean Warhawks. My travel plans are indeed set. I will indeed be going to this game, scheduled for February 16th in beautiful Monroe, Louisiana. (I'll be gone for like 5 days. Expect guests.)
By the way, I do mean that just my travel plans are set. ULM is pretty much impossible to get a hold of, so if you know how to get a hold of anyone down there, please let me know.
So, about those teams. Denver sits towards the top of the Sun Belt conference at this juncture, with a 4-2 conference record. They are 8-9 overall, and, here's the kicker, winless on the road. Thats going to be a fly in the ointment as they take on the inferior Warhawks in Monroe. Last I checked a map, Denver was not, in fact, in Louisiana.
As I said, the Pioneers, led by the streaky Kyle Lewis and the gritty David Kummer are the more talented squad and won the first game in Denver, 66-50. Lewis had 19 points for the Pioneers in that one. The problem for Denver is their lack of bench depth. In their initioal meeting, the Pioneers only had three players off the bench, including the magnificently named Xander McNally who played 30 minutes. Kummer is clearly the best player on the team, and they would sorely miss his 35+ minutes were he knocked out.
In that game on January 2nd, Jordan Payne led the Warhawks with 19 points, while Jonas Brown had 15. This belies what s a morebalanced team, for better or worse. They run a lot more players than Denver, perhaps because the season is essentially already lost, as the Warhawks are 0-6 in conference. They do, however, boast a strong non-conference win at Iowa, and continue to play well in games they shouldn't such as against Arkansas-Little Rock, a game which they lost only by two to the top team in their division. Kept relatively quiet, point guard and leading scorer Tony Hooper will look to step up for the Warhawks in their game next month. The winner in the name department, by the way, for the Warhawks is Dominican forward Dalky Melendez. All told, I predict that Warhawks will win this in what should be a hotly contested game,
Be sure to stay tuned for one more update juuuuust before I leave for Louisiana.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn I am going to miss you!!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home