Tuesday, September 11, 2007

An NFL review, backloaded with pictures

Well, we're back live with the NFL season and my Tuesday NFL recaps. Did you all notice that I slipped in a lengthy week in review yesterday? I hope so, and I hope you comment. Comments are my blood.

First, I want to mention my postseason predictions, which I admit were slightly changed after the season opener. We'll start with the NFC as we did with the previews.
The NFC looked even worse than I thought they would this weekend, and I really don't think there is any good reason to say any particular team will do well this year. So, there's really no reasoning behind any of my picks, because all the teams are fully capable of choking the season away.
In round 1 Seattle wins vs Dallas in a rematch of last years debacle. Carolina wins at Philadelphia thanks to a couple successful long pass plays in an otherwise boring game. In the second round Seattle will win at New Orleans, because New Orleans has no defense and Carolina will use the same method they did against the Eagles when they go to Chicago. Seattle is going to get to the Super Bowl over Carolina because they simply have more big game players than the Panthers, and are playing at home.
The AFC is a little easier to decipher. There is a clear hierarchy to the teams, and any upsets will truly be upsets. I have Denver defeating San Diego in the first round, more because of Norv Turner than because of the Chargers or Broncos talent. After watching Cincinnati play Baltimore, I was convinced that the Bengals looked a lot better than they actually are. I'm taking the Ravens at home. In round two, that will pit Denver and New England. This won't even be close. In Indianapolis, I'm going to take the Ravens, because by that point I suspect Joseph Addai to be broken. In New England, I'll take the fresher Patriots.
We'll see New England and Seattle in the Super Bowl, where the Pats should win by about 100. Randy Moss will be the MVP of the Super Bowl and perhaps the season. Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson will be the rookies of the year for their respective leagues. So that's that.

The Colts-Saints season opener was a few days ago at this point, but let's bring something up. The Saints offense looked awful. Reggie Bush isn't the life changing force he's made out to be. Even in college he was surrounded by the best, and he has a good squad in New Orleans. Well, not so much the defense, which was destroyed also. Oh well.

The Vikings sure looked good eh? Well, their defense played well against a Joey Harrington led offense. Harrington for the record, is better than people say he is, but still. It was a new, terrible offense, and the Vikes scored a whopping 10 offensive points against what should be a poor defense. This game presented more problems than it solved, despite what you may have been led to believe. Among the problems presented? Tony Boselli isn't quite ready for the broadcast booth.

Allegations are, and evidence indicates that the Patriots were stealing signals from the Jets. The Patriots have a good enough team that they shouldn't need to do that, but I'm glad they did it against the Jets, who deserve to be cheated against. They cheered when their own quarterback was hurt! That's just scummy. Boo Jets. You are now my least favorite team.

The San Diego-Chicago game was almost unwatchable. Now, the Bears are generally tough to watch anyways, but they don't always necessarily induce the opponents to be as shaky as the Chargers looked. No no, I think that can be attributed to going with a stupid looking helmet. Maybe a little because of their bad coach.

So let's see. Jimmy Johnson, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin are all gone from Dallas. Bill Parcells is gone. So why is John Madden still obsessed with the Cowboys? It must be Jerry Jones. In any event, Eli Manning is out for a month, meaning Jared Lorenzen is going to be the starting quarterback. I'm terribly excited at the prospect of a fat guy from Kentucky taking a prominent role in the New York sports scene.

Let's go through this one. The Ravens lost the ball about 15 times, Carson Palmer had a few big plays, and the Bengals went out and.... won by 7? That's it? In the words of Denny Green, they are who I thought they were. If you want to crown them, crown their asses. The Ravens let them off the hook. That's me saying that the Bengals are susceptible to a team with a pulse.

Speaking of the wonderful Denny Green, his old team, the Cardinals had a lot of penalties, didn't they? Just what a team with a history of disorganization and losing needs. A lack of discipline! Good luck Arizona.

3 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

Comments are your blood? I'm familiar with A, B, AB, and O blood types, but I'd never heard of "Comments". I learn something new every time I come here.

How does "comments" blood type affect the blood pressure? The ability to donate? Do mosquitoes like or dislike you any more than other blood types?

;)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can vampires drink your "comments?" And don't even try to tell me vampires don't exist, because they do. They CAN co-exist with UFO's.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Does anyone else agree that Shaun Alexander needs to see a dentist to close that gap in his teeth? He bugs the piss out of me, why you might ask??? Well, lets go back to 2005, NFC Championship, he went off for 34 for 132 and 2 TD's against the Panthers and I just hate him and his boyfriend Matt "Don't call me Elizabeth" Hasselbeck, ok I am done now...Go Panthers!!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home