Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My sleep schedule is totally wrecked.

So, for Labor Day I met some family up north in a cabin on Girl Lake. It was great, except that I got up there late last night. I got to sleep in the cabin, which was nice, and seemingly better off than most of the rest of my family, who were all in tents outside. Or so it seemed. I was on the path from the front door to the bathroom, and apparently my family has some of the smallest bladders out there. So it was a rough nights sleep, especially when so many woke up at 7 this morning. I got home around 7 this afternoon, and I planned on taking a nap. The nap lasted until 10 this evening, hence why the WIR post is so poorly timed. Sorry.

ITEM ONE: The college football season is off and running. The big story was Appalachian State winning at Michigan, thereby destroying any hope for a title run from Michigan, likely demoralizing them for the rest of the year. This opens the door for Wisconsin, who appears to have the strongest team in the Big Ten now, after manhandling Washington State. Their defense did look a little shaky at times, a whole that could be exposed. The Ohio State is also going through some growing pains this year, as all of their skill positions are being refilled. Could this open it up for a team with a returning quarterback and an improving defense? Like Purdue? Dare I dream? Of course not. It's probably going to go to Ohio State. F'in Buckeyes.
Back to Appalachian State for a minute though. Is it possible that this is the worst possible outcome for the school? Small schools get pad to get thrashed, and they stop getting money when they start winning those games. It's definitely hurt the MAC, and in the mean time, there are still plenty of teams like Idaho that can be doormats. Too bad for ASU, in a way. I suppose.

ITEM TWO: Speaking of demoralizing, it's tough to be a fan of Minnesota sports of any kind right now. The Gopher's football team choked away a victory against Bowling Green Saturday, ushering in the Tim Brewster era. All the enthusiasm he's had can't win you football games if you don't have the players to make it happen. The same memo needs to be sent to Vikings fans, who are depressingly optimistic. Usually I derive a bit of glee watching the Vikes get decimated because I enjoy seeing stupid decisions backfire, but for whatever reason, the fans this year are so oblivious to how bad the team is going to be, it makes me sad. And the Twins. Ugh. I don't want to talk about the Twins. When the guys giving tickets away on the radio acknowledge that the season is pretty much over, you know it's a bad sign. But apparently, Purdue has hope, so I'll be OK.

ITEM THREE: My own personal hell this weekend: All of my family members getting Raspberry Beret stuck in their heads. Just those two words though. Ugh.

ITEM FOUR: So, here's a bad idea. Let's say that you have a sports conference that has a huge contract with broadcast networks to show your games to all of the possible fans. Now, go ahead and make your own network and put the games on it while not getting a contract with any cable companies, then don't even make the games available for local networks. Is that an idea that will drive people to get DirecTV or pressure their cable provider, or will it drive people away from your conference, and keep fans away from games? Are you listening to any of this Big Ten?

All right, that wraps up my very late Week in Review. I'm going to go try to listen to songs that aren't about hats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home