Monday, August 06, 2007

How come only bad news gets to me when I don't have cable?

Aside from all bridge related news, this past week was filled with only two stories here in Minnesota, and the ramifications of them. At least, that's what I can tell. I've been largely detached from the news of the world. This week in review, thusly, will only cover those two stories.

ITEM ONE: The big news from Minnesota for much of the world has been the trade of Kevin Garnett last week to the Boston Celtics for 5 players, 2 draft picks, a piece of parquet floor, the town of New Bedford and One of Boston's McHale era title banners. I don't really have any insight on the trade, but I just wanted to let everyone know that if you see this man out on the street, please, for all that is holy, run the other way.

ITEM TWO: The trade deadline came and passed on Tuesday, and while I spend a lot of time grousing here on a website about the inability to add a bat, but there's a reason that I'm not out doing Terry Ryan's job and instead spending my time grousing on a website, but I'm concerned when the team's premier players, like Johan Santana and Torii Hunter, pending free agents, go to the media and express their displeasure with the direction of the team. It would be one thing if there was one player saying this, because he could be labeled a malcontent, however when Hunter and Santana, who heretofore had offered the team discounts to stay begin raising the issue, questioning the teams dedication to a championship after trading away Luis Castillo, I worry that there is discord in the Twins clubhouse, and we're looking at the beginning of the end for this incarnation of the Twins, rather than simply the beginning. How are we going to pad the lineup if we won't give up prospects or sign free agents? Granted, the Twins are on a bit of a streak and have found themselves in contention, but I wonder if they can keep it up with such a young rotation and such a light hitting line up.

It's interesting how much I look forward to baseball season, and how stressed out I get by it somewhere around the end of July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home