Monday, November 20, 2006

It's Just Not Fiscally Viable to Have a Left Fielder

Recently, I made a little post on the center field situation, and why we should keep Torii Hunter. Now, with the way the market is going, Gary Matthews, Hunter's most comparable player and is currently seeking 10 million dollars a year, and will probably get it. So goes the free agent market this season. Alfonso Soriano just inked a contract that will pay him about 17 million dollars a year. Kenny Lofton? Also seeking 8-10 million a year. What I'm trying to say is, the Twins are getting a bargain, keeping Hunter at 12 million this year. At this point, the Twins will have to give David Dellucci the city of Anoka in order to get him to play the outfield this season. The Twins will be better off luring Tom Candiotti out of retirement for 4 mil a year.
So, assuming the stingy Twins decide merely to improve through trades or from within, what are the options? Well, right now the best internal option under contract to put in the outfield is Jason "my knee is held together with Velcro" Kubel. But then we don't really have a DH. And I, under no circumstances, will not maintain my sanity if Jason Tyner or Lew Ford are or any combination therein are used for any length of time over the course of the season. I hate to say it, because I really like my Twins fan friends, but with the way he came on at the end of the year, the best, safest bet, may be to lock up Rondell White for another year until the market regulates. I don't think there are enough arms in the Twins system to deal for both Jason Jennings, as is rumored, and a third outfielder, which is needed. Of course, if they pick up Candiotti, they might have someone to spare. - Ryan

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

I hear you on Ford....but what's wrong with Tyner?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I just don't think there has been enough evidence to demonstrate that he is a full time outfielder. If anything, his career points to using him as a utility outfielder. I don't have a problem with that. But I think he will do more to take up roster space than he will to help the offense.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home