Friday, November 03, 2006

Karma and the Lord's Game.

Last night I was driving down highway 7 in Minnetonka at about 5:30 last night, when in the left lane, I witnessed the tale end of about a six car accident. I immediately called 911, because I believe in driving karma, you know, watching out for your fellow drivers, letting people merge, always signaling, stuff like that. I think it helps, because I have never been in an accident.
OF course, driving karma doesn't seem to apply where traffic is concerned. Typically, the drive from the Victoria Times headquarters to the Xcel Energy Center is about 50 minutes, maybe 1:15 with traffic. It took me two full hours to get to the game last night, and I had to park in Wisconsin. I did, however, move quicker walking from the garage to the arena than I did the entire time i was on 394. I finally made it to my seat with a little more than 8 minutes to go in the first period and Vancouver was up 2-0.
All night, Vancouver looked like they out played a logey Wild squad. Manny Fernandez was playing with a growly in his bowely. Marian Gaborik was hurt. Pavol Demitra was all over the map. Matt Cooke was camped in front of the net all night. It wasn't a good way to start the game. Todd White deflected a goal off his skate, and although it clearly wasn't, it was called a kick and reviewed. I can't say I blame the refs though, because their view was obstructed when they were kissing Alain Vigneault's ass. Hell, poor Jason Morgan spent about two periods in the penalty box, watching Alex Burrows hog tie Pierre Marc Bouchard all night., with no recourse.
But then on one of Vancouver's completely unnecessary power plays, Rory Fitzpatrick hauled Brian Rolston down on his way to the net. After the game had moved like traffic on 394, it finally turned with 2:59 left in the second when Rolston blasted his penalty shot past Roberto Luongo. Perhaps he was still a little wary after taking a slapshot to the neck in the first period.
That was the tipping point. In between bountiful penalty kills, Nick Schultz wafted a shot into the net. So, there was a phantom kick, a penalty shot and this floater from the blue line. In my times at the X, I was yet to see a normal goal, typified by a goal that bounced off the endboards, then off Arturs Irbe and into the net. Would I ever see any good hockey goals? Well, yes, because Pascal Dupuis, (my favorite athlete named Pascal, incidentally) blasted in a rebound as Luongo flopped around in the crease.
For those who don't watch a lot of hockey, let me tell you something. Seeing Nick Schultz AND Pascal Dupuis score in the same game is like watching Luis Castillo hit a home run and Jason Kubel get a bunt single in the same game. Or Tara Reid and Dolph Lundgren being nominated for an Oscar.
To complete the evening, Branko (or the Brankster, as I call him) Radivojevic put one in with just over a second to go. So it turns out that driving karma was paying off. Or maybe, just maybe, God was looking out for me. He loves hockey. - Ryan

1 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

That was an interesting game, gotta say.

Sometime in the first period, Bobbi shouted, "Stop sucking!" which made some people around us kinda laugh in the "well, it would be funny if it weren't true" way.

And Marian Gaborik was injured 'cause I was there. It always happens.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home