Monday, November 20, 2006

The Weekly Review/La Revue Hebdomadaire

I'm watching Ottawa versus Minnesota, being played in Ottawa. The fact that all the announcements are translated from English to French every time cracks me up, and I don't know why. In any case, it's time for another hello to any new readers I may or may not have collected recently. I know Deadspin, more specifically The Mighty MJD on the weekend, has been linking to me like it was their job, so you never know. I only have one thing to mention for you potential newbies. Comments are my blood. Or, Les commentaires sont mon sang. Let's review the week.

ITEM ONE: So... Did anyone watch the game? You know. The game. George Mason and Wichita State? Ha! Of course not. Everyone was engrossed in Ohio State-Michigan, the Biggest Game in the History of Anything Ever. It was hyped all season, both teams were undefeated and there was a convenient death of Bo Schembechler. Convenient, of course, for the media outlets, tragic for the rest of the world. The thing that struck me was how poorly both of the teams played. All season, their strengths have lied with the defense, with both the Buckeyes and the Wolverines among the top 10 in points allowed this season. And then they scored eighty combined points. I think both of these teams can play a much better game, although I hope Michigan's will be in the Rose Bowl, while Ohio State gets to fend off another contender. (USC? Florida? Arkansas? BOISE STATE (double parenthesees. Don't scoff. They beat Oregon State who beat USC. And the Broncos are undefeated_?!)

ITEM TWO: Our dear friends in Kansas City will have another overpriced, aged player to root (?) for this coming season, as Jason Larue was shipped to the Royals today. I'm not sure what this team needs is veteran leadership so much as talent. But clearly, I'm not a baseball genius, by any stretch of the imagination.

ITEM THREE: I'm beginning to wonder if the Wild's success isn't completely derived from their schedule, starting with that first game of the season. They caught Colorado a night after they played an overtime game, and now that they are spending all their time on the road, Minnesota seems to be falling apart. Their win this week came against the Predators after they had a day off, while Nashville was coming back from a night in Columbus, which, as the Michigan Wolverines learned, isn't easy. Still, it took the Wild a full three periods to catch up with the Predators, and the game ended in a shootout. Against Phoenix, in front of at least a dozen fans, and at home against Colorado, the Wild looked absolutely flaccid. I know the good Lord doesn't play favorites, but if He loves hockey as much as I'm led to believe, he wants to see Marian Gaborik back on the ice as much as I do.

ITEM FOUR: Speaking of hockey, I've taken to looking at the images of the previous nights NHL games while I'm at work. Don't tell my boss. In any case, doesn't it seem like ESPN gives us far too much information in their captions? And actually, I'd like to know the nationality of Branimir Kvartuc, recently scene taking photographs at a recent NHL hockey game in Anaheim, California on Sunday, November 19th, 2006. The Ducks won 6-4 over the Phoenix Coyotes.

ITEM FIVE: Speaking of random links to ESPN, I've also taken to checking the college basketball scores. Here are a couple fun ones. Game one. Game two. And of course, the most interesting fact. The North Warhawks State football team outscored their basketball team last week. Really, there are thousands of hilarious subplots to the college basketball season. You should check some out, if you don't already.

So, I'm out for a couple hours. See you in a bit. Je ne suis pas très bon au Français. - Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home