Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Catharsis

After going to the Twins game today, especially after the way the season ended, I was brought down hard. I'm emotionally distraught. I'm depressed. I need to get my mind off the Twins for a couple minutes. So let's rehash the week in pro football.

First, as always, we discuss the Vikings and their grossly incompetent offense. Actually, that about sums it up. The Vikings have a grossly incompetent offense. You want more? Chester Taylor wasn't the back they thought. Brad Johnson is exactly the quarterback I had expected. No downfield threat who throws good to short route runners. The Vikings have no short route runners. The Vikings are a one trick pony, and that trick can only get them so far.

My new favorite team was a bit more entertaining. The Colts had two fourth quarter drives to defeat the J E T S JETS JETS JETS. Peyton Manning isn't any worse at quarterback without Edgerrin James, but his options are limited. Teams can sell out on the past because Joseph Addai can't move laterally and isn't strong enough just to hit holes. The Jets, on the other hand, have a good defense and I didn't realize it. Also, Chad Pennington did somethng that people seem to discount as a possibility all to easily. He recovered from his injury! He is single handedly keeping the Jets afloat, and all he has to do is be sure that the ball gets anywhere near Jerricho Cotchery. But the take away point is, I guess, that Peyton Manning is good, bt there will be pressure on him all year. And the Jets are bothersome in their strength this year.

I clearly don't know what's going on. And neither does anyone else, in terms of the NFL. The Bengals are great, they beat the Steelers (I still say they miss the playoffs) and the Patriots were on the downslope. I even thought that Brady was pouting what with Deion Branch out of the picture. But then I realized with the Patriots destroying the Bengals that I am totally in the dark on this one. The best theory that I have is the matchup. The Patriots, despite being bereft of a secondary seem to matchup better with quality spread offenses, like the Colts, or, in this case, the Bengals. They blitzed the heck out of Jake Plummer, and he was forced to make quick decisions and that's where he excelled. I'm guessing the Broncos beat the Ravens. Or that the Patriots lose to the Dolphins, led to another "thinking is the worst case scenario" quarterback, Daunte Culpepper. Or maybe Roger Rabbit will be the Lions halfback this week. Or maybe Chris Henry will join AA. I don't know and I don't believe that anyone does.

Case in point, The Bears-Seahawks. I'll admit, I bought the hype. I thought the Seahawks would roll. However, it seems that the 'Hawks were helped by Eli Manning forgetting what team he was on. When faced with an astute football mind like Rex Grossman, they had no chance. Really. What on EARTH is going on in the NFL? The only sure thing is another Bengals arrest.

The Maverick, from the infrequently updated Whirlwind of Doom and I were having a chat about the Twins today, how I think Jason Tyner is bad and say that it's because his break out season occurred when he's 29. His best season, his first season, is in the middle of his peak athleticism. He's too old to be any good. He countered by saying that Frank Thomas and Nomar Garciaparra are good examples of players who over came some bad years and redurged. Then I said that they had demonstrated their skill previously in their career. Then we said some regrettable things. But this is my blog and I get the last word. Who would you rather have at QB right now, Damon Huard, who just crushed the 49ers and has been overall pretty effective, or Donovan McNabb, playing well again after a couple of brutal years? I say McNabb. And I would drop Huard or look for someone better than him. And Brett Favre is like Barry Bonds. I'm sick of him, he hurts, and he has lost his former greatness. He should hang it up.

You know what? I feel better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home