Friday, August 18, 2006

A Triumphant Return

So, yesterday, I was filling holes in the basement, making sure chipmunks would stop making my basement their living room, using a certain brand of expanding insulation. They recommend using gloves. I too, recommend wearing gloves. Among having my hands stuck together for a couple hours, this past week has been frought with miscellaneity that has kept me from my writing. But instead of boring you with those details, I'm going to bore you with another edition of Ryan versus the Local Paper. In future posts, I will bore you with some Twins, Vikings and major paper talk.
But lets turn to our friend Celine. Dear, sweet Celine. Apparently, she received a letter from her daughter in the past month. It was important enough, and complimentary enough, that Ms. Dion printed it in the paper! How would you like it if you wrote to your parents, and the event was so meritorious, it was printed in the local paper, and read by thousands? Well, I guess I would like thousands of people to read this, but thats not the point. Let's move on.
There were two letters of import, both from important, newsworthy people, including the local state senator, who was asking if she could submit something on a recent press release she wanted to make. the other was about a community meeting that was set up by the Metropolitan Council. The press release was on racial diversity (which is CLEARLY an important issue in Victoria), and the meeting between including people from St. Bonifacius, Waconia and Victoria pertained to improvements to the sewer system. You weren't going to get that info in the paper, so I'll mention that here.
The cream of the crop in this edition of letters to the editor, is from a Shakopee man, concerned with the conservative (no kidding) bent of the paper, as well as the "small town vibe" that it has. He wondered why he saw pro-life articles but never a pro-choice sentiment. How, the author of this letter inquires, is Celine going to adapt the paper to this fast growing, morally and politically diverse community? The answer? She's NOT! She says she is only going to worry about the truth, which in case you haven't noticed, has never been the world's truth, but only her own. Nothing like an obstinant, narrow minded voiceplate of a community, no? So now, I have a purpose! I need to get the truth out there to the people! I am the Keith Olbermann to her Bill O'Reilly!
OK, I'm getting a little preachy. But I should probably get in touch with the guy that sent this letter. It was well written and thought out, both traits I could use in this blog.
Moving on to what should ostensibly be the news, the lead article is on an award ceremony for a gentleman who saved another man's life. Not to take anything away from the man, in fact I will commend him here (his name is Randy Herges, so if you know him, give him a healthy hand shake and a pat on the back from me), but his choice of attire at the award ceremony was... questionable. A shortsleeve button down white shirt, which is totally acceptable. And then, there were the shorts. And the sock-free loafers. Did they surprise him with this award? Not tell him there would be a ceremony after the barbecue? But he saved a man's life, so I suppose he can do whatever the hell he wants.
And that's it. Celine failed to provide working links to later pages of the paper. Apparently "the truth" doesn't involve hyperlinks. - Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home