Monday, August 21, 2006

Two Items Concerning the Past.

Saturday night was a night that looked to be important in advance, but turned out to be me just drinking and being awkward. So in other words, it was a regular Saturday night. Yes, that's right, what was ostensibly supposed to be a high school reunion turned into a drink-o-thon. Which is fun. But then the biggest most powerful cabal of students, the hockey team, showed up, already half in the bag.
A little background. I had a high school with an excellent hockey team. I mean, state tournament winning good. And this is Minnesota, so you know we had some hockey talent. There are a few of my schoolmates playing professionally. One of them, Jake Riddle, was in my class, but left after his sophomore year to play juniors. His brother, Troy, a year older did the same. Troy was the clearly more talented, actually played in college and is a member of the Blues' farm system now. Jake was drafted by the Wild. Naturally, when they get arrested, it makes the local news.
So when Jake showed up at the reunion, despite having not actually, you know, graduated from my high school, I had to use considerable restraint from asking how prison was. That and his buffer of dozens of drunk hockey players. One of whom both exposed his butt and demanded my phone number. That was a ridiculous and unnecessary story, but this is my blog and I don't like the Riddles. So there.
Speaking of people I don't really like and completely biased opinions... Several months ago, I noted with chagrin that Tom Bernard is a mindless ass. Well, it turns out I'm not the only one. Chris Riemenschnieder (I hope he never piques my interest again, what with his 15 letter last name) wrote this piece on Bernard and his crew. Although it's too bad that Riemenschneider and the STrib decided to go after his taste in music rather than his smallmindedness, or his jingoism, or the fact that he reflects the views of way too many people.
Wow, I am getting way too preachy lately. I'll try harder later. - Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home