Monday, June 20, 2011

Thoughts on today's Twins game

Like I said, I went to Sunday's big Father's day Twins game. It was the first time I had been to a Twins game since April, and I had a few thoughts on the action. Do you want to hear them? Yes? Then read on.

- Holy crap, Alexi Casilla! He has really turned a switch lately and his beating the snot out of the ball. He's hitting .352 in the past 4 weeks. That's more than a streak.

- Also, Delmon Young looks like a right handed, African American Joe Mauer. He is hitting a lot of line drives, though nothing over the fence. His average is up to .250 after hitting .350 in the past week.

- Third Base Coach Steve Liddle's greatest asset is that he is not Scott Ullger. That's not a ringing endorsement.

- The Twins bunted WAY too much. It worked out... this time. It can't possibly be sustainable. (hint, if you bunt, why wouldn't someone just walk the next better setting up the DP again?)

- For as much crap as Delmon Young gets for his fielding, we need to address the fact that Matt Tolbert is an atrocious third baseman. Absolutely no instincts whatsoever.

- Tsuyoshi Nishioka also lacks instincts in the field. That's very bothersome. But he does back up well,, so he is sort of technically sound.

- Ben Revere is all smoke and mirrors. I think I wouldn't be opposed to him spending more time in Rochester.

- That said, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Twins pitching is doing a lot better without Kubel playing the field. I'm just sayin'

- I think I witnessed the first ever Rene for Rene pinch hitting substitution in history.

- It also might be the first time someone hitting .181 pinch hit for someone hitting .190.

- Also, it worked.

- Pretty much every stupid maneuver in the game today worked out. I was incredulous. It's games like this that encourage bad managing.

- I really miss Orlando Hudson. What a delightful guy.

- The Padres are the Twins, if the Twins were in the National League. Light hitting, pitchers ball park, all that. They even have Jason Bartlett and the aforementioned Hudson.

- I saw Jim Hoey begin to warm up in the Twins pen. The momentary panic I had sweep over me was unpleasant. I would rather have JJ Hardy. Hell, I would rather have Carlos Gomez.

The team needs to make some changes so their success is sustainable. They are on the right track now, I think. Let's hope.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home