Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cooking with Ryan: Barbecue chicken

Back when I was a youngster, we called something like this a hobo dinner, except we used steak and we cooked it over an open flame, not in the oven. So I guess the only thing is that I threw all the stuff in foil while it cooked.
I was surprised by the smell of the dinner. I threw the barbecue sauce on top of a chicken breast, potatoes, green peppers, green onions and seasoned with salt and pepper. I was surprised that, while it was in the oven, almost all I smelled was pepper. Not just one kind of pepper, but the green pepper and the black pepper. I was expecting some chicken or barbecue smells wafting through my place, disturbing my dog. Alas, this was not the case.
I haven't really made anything quite as homey as this before, so it was nice to go meat and potatoes for once. It seems strange that I have cooked potatoes as infrequently as I have... hmm. And I call myself a Norwegian. The recipe called for cheese, which is always good, but I feel like the cheese was the thing that really buoyed everything else. Needed more barbecue sauce. Of course, I pretty much eyeballed the whole thing, so perhaps that was the problem.
And yes, I did bake it on a pizza tray.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home