Saturday, July 24, 2010

Writing is hard

The best thing to check ESPN.com for are, no doubt, sports scores. It's the best compendium of raw sports information that there is, and despite all their faults, you can get scores for everything easily and in one place. I have to imagine that it is phenomenally difficult, on a daily basis, to write something new or interesting for a baseball game headline. I mean, how many ways can you say one team beat another team? I have been looking at that the past couple of days and I have to say: I'm impressed. Let's just look at yesterday's versions:

Stomp
Dispatch
Top
Shut down
"Indians run home streak vs Rays to 18"
Stymie
Ride past
Win
Beat
Lift past
Put over
Nip
"Edmonds fills in for injured Hart, spurs Brewers"
Win

Only one of those things was used specifically twice in 14 games. Am I wrong to be thoroughly impressed? I can't even think of 6 topics most weeks.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home