Monday, July 26, 2010

Are there any pitchers left?


The Twins have a need for a starting pitcher. I'm not going to deny that. At this point, though, I'm left to wonder if there is anyone out there to help us. Dan Haren and Cliff Lee have been traded. Roy Oswalt is almost certainly not coming to Minnesota, unless something dramatically changes.
The only other trade option (as a pitcher) that I have heard bandied about has been Ted Lilly. Be still my heart. Forgive me if I don't think that a pitcher with an ERA over 4 in the National League will somehow become better in the AL. In fact, I would say that if we acquired Lilly, he would be about as good as Kevin Slowey. Still better than nick Blackburn, I guess.
So without a really good pitchers available, what are the Twins left with? If I know Bill Smith, he will do SOMETHING. This isn't the Terry Ryan era anymore, after all. Does he add some more arms to the bullpen? I can see that happening. Will he add an infielder? He almost has to, what with the injury to Orlando Hudson and a stunning lack of depth.  Again,  I don't exactly know what kind of a trade it will make there, because middle infielders are a dime a dozen (except in Minnesota, where they are incredibly rare) and many are available.
Going into July, many pundits prophesied that the Twins would be the most active team at the deadline. I don't know how that happens now. They don't have a terribly deep farm system beyond several big name prospects. To fill the needs they can, they will almost certainly overpay. I'm sure they will. I sort of hope they will. Whatever happens, I'll likely be surprised by the result.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home