Thursday, June 17, 2010

Site Updates: IE Has Me Stumped

As you can see, Ryan and I made some visual improvements to the site over the past few days. Both of us use Firefox as our browser on our computers and the changes look great on it. The collapsible archive list is working, the columns are sized just right, etc. I also happen to own an iPhone, where my browser is Safari. Again, the changes look great, and if you turn the phone on its side, the site looks great and is easy to read in landscape mode. Since Ryan and I are polar opposites in many ways, he has a Droid, and according to him, the site looks fine on his browser too.

So that brings us to Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, I decided to see how the site looked on it today, and realized that we have some sort of "can't load page" thing in the side bar and the collapsible archive update doesn't work. After playing with it for a while, I'm stumped. I have no idea how to fix it for IE. I even played around with another blog template and got the archives to work, but if I copy the exact html code into this site's template, it still won't work. Also, if I blow away the code that is setting that "page can't be loaded" strange box, it screws up the formatting completely on IE (and has absolutely no effect on firefox). Both of these things use java scripts, which apparently don't work the same (and seem to be extremely inconsistent) on Internet Explorer. The fact that the site looks exactly the same and the way I want it to look on 3 different browsers on 3 different types of devices, makes me think this is an IE issue or my coding isn't flexible enough for all browsers.

At least I was able to reach a happy compromise that the site is still readable on all browsers...it just doesn't look as pretty on Internet Explorer...The archive thing is a bell and whistle so on IE it looks the same as it used to before the updates (a gigantic list of months) and the random "can't load page" box is annoying, but thanks to the archive issue, is pretty far down the page.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it, let us know!

Hmm...I just realized that we haven't had a sports related post since Sunday (assuming Sid Hartman is not a sports guy...I have no idea). A sports related post is coming your way tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home