Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cooking with Ryan: Hashbrown casserole


 My mom's side of the family is extraordinarily Scandinavian, and as such, they enjoy their potatoes. I have a whole new respect for their dedication to getting after a boring food. Now, I love my potatoes and starches, but I'm not sure I ever want to peel a potato again. And then shredding the potato for use in the hashbrowns? Oh yes, I made this from scratch, friends. Recognize my domesticity. 
I actually really enjoyed the veggies that went along with it. They were just nuked in Italian dressing, dill and pepper, but they were pretty good. I love me a good radish. The best part was the recipe called for the veggies to be "cooked to perfection". In this case, that meant 2 minutes in the microwave, I guess. Otherwise, this seems like a completely asinine instruction. It's on a lot of menus too, as though a restaurant would admit that they were "cooked to mediocre", or "cooked to adhere to the health code". 
My favorite part of the whole experience was the shopping for ingredients I didn't have, namely the veggies. I got checked out, and the guy behind me had 6 frozen pizzas and about 3 rolls of Pillsbury something or other. I felt like an adult. 
Other than that though, the experience was pretty nondescript. Potatoes aren't fun for cooking, and also, important lesson, the inside of an onion is rather warm.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home