Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I don't know why this happens

A couple years ago, I wrote a post about Oregon uniforms, and the entire state of Oregon came down on me. When I wrote about how Eric Devendorf is and looks like a douche, all those fans of Syracuse decided to tell me that I'm a bad person. This time, however, it's Steve who has become the object of someone's scorn. Back in September of 2007, Steve penned a piece illustrating his disdain for a certain university in northern Indiana. A Notre Dame supporter issued a timely response on Saturday, that called Steve all sorts of bad names:
You are pathetic. Not only are you absolutely wrong as regards your recitation of history, your perspective is warped by your own blind jealosy. What happened, did you apply and were not accepted? Don't even get me atarted about Purdue - one story concerning the athletic recruitment of my son back in 1995 and the pride Purdue's head coach (track & field) showe when explaining how the Purdue scholarship athletes did not need to worry about classes as everythign would be taken care of for them. This was enough to turn off my son (a stellar and heavily recruited athlete) as academics were important to him. He is now a physician after having competed for four years for Notre Dame and being ranked 5th in the Big East in his event. Purdue and academics do not even belong in the same universe when discussing scholarship athletes. Get a clue.
Pathetic. Absolutely wrong. Blindly jealous. Clueless. Angry blog comments are the best. But let's break this down, shall we? First, Steve, I can assure you, did not apply to Notre Dame. As he mentioned, he went into his college search already hating Notre Dame. He said that, but I doubt you actually read any of his post. You see, Steve wanted to be an engineer, Purdue's forte, not a lawyer or douchebag, which is apropos of a degree from Notre Dame.
Second, I don't understand this whole thing about the Purdue track and field team. Did Steve even mention the Purdue student athletes? No. He talked about hypocrisy in the Notre Dame hype machine. But good that you decided to drag Mike Poehlein's (thats the track coaches name, by the way) name through the mud, even though he hasn't ever been tagged for any violations in 25 years on the job. But you're right, if that's your point. Student athletes aren't always the best students. We admit that, but Notre Dame doesn't. Actually, wasn't that Steve's point?
It's too bad you posted anonymously, sir, because with your mastery of the English language, from syntax to spelling, I would want to know your name, if just so I could avoid going to your son's practice, in case he has your attention to detail.

But back to the title. We here at the Times are pretty easy going folk. I get livid about some stuff, but frankly, I don't have a problem with anyone. Why do so many have a problem with us? I think I'm getting a complex.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

All it takes to be a physician is to compete for four years? If only I had known, I wouldn't have wasted my time in high school on chemistry and biology and physics, but rather taken more gym classes!Not that I'm a physician, but had I known it was that easy, I would've become one!

(There's nothing I enjoy more than taking one line out of context and mocking it.)

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home