Thursday, May 21, 2009

Perspective

I didn’t write last week, because I was attending a funeral for a 3-year-old child, who was hit by a car and killed instantly. He didn't run out into the road or any inadvertant accident like that. Cars stopped to let the little boy cross the street--with his older siblings. One car was too impatient to stop and figure out why the other cars were stopped, and passed on the right shoulder (illegal, of course). So my public service announcement to readers is to slow down. If cars are stopped, there is a reason. Find out what the reason is. If it turns out to be nothing, you've only lost a minute. A person's life is worth a minute of your time.

In baseball there have been a number of deaths relating to current players so far this season. One can start with the tragic circumstances surrounding the Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart. He was a 22-year-old young man who had just recorded his first major league win.

It was reported this weekend that the mother of MLB players Dimiri and Delmon Young passed away after a battle with cancer. Delmon is a 23-year-old young man, who is facing the funeral of his mother; that's something I hope I don't have to face for many years, and I'm much older than Delmon.

It was reported yesterday that the children of Diamondbacks relief pitcher Scott Schoenweis found their mother dead in her bedroom. Scott and his wife had just celebrated their tenth anniversary, and were raising four children. Mrs. Schoenweis was reportedly 39 years old. There are four children who have lost their mother.

I think it’s easy for fans to look at players as simply means of entertainment. When a player has a bad game, or series, or year, we tend to complain that the player is no good. These guys are people, too. They’re living lives, they have family they care about, and they deal with many of the same things we do (although with a lot more money). I’m not saying they all deserve a free pass to mess up games however they want, but this is a firm example of why I don’t believe in booing my team. Yes, it’s frustrating to see them do dumb things. But behind that bat or glove is a very real young man.

Really, when it all comes down to it, it’s just a game.

Just don’t tell me that when I’m sitting there watching a game. Because at that moment, it’s a matter of life to me, too.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Thoughts and prayers, Beth

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home