Saturday, March 07, 2009

Height makes you smart


I have a pet peeve. I hate it when people who played sports longer than I did claim that they know more about their sport than I do. I hate it when people have the idea that you only know when to play at double play depth if you have played high school ball. Apparently, my poor eyesight also makes it hard for me to parse strategy. Additionally, my lack of jumping ability also makes it hard for me to know how to execute a 2-3 zone.
I mean really, just because I am not a very good athlete (wild, dangerous understatement) doesn't mean that I can't practice logic. I'm pretty good with numbers and I am good at picking up strategy. In fact, I would note that I am just as into many sports as most who play. They spend a lot of their time refining many individual skills whereas I become more in touch with the various minutia of the game.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, this day in age where everyone has access to stats, and so many people watch the game and, frankly, are just as smart, if not smarter than those playing or coaching the game, everyone should have a right to be critical of on field decision making. Leaders of teams have the advantage of knowing how to hone the fundamental skills, but please, don't be surprised if we the fans, the the liberty of critiquing your decision making every now and then.
Besides, I have contacts now, and my hand-eye is a little bit better

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home