Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I guess if Obama wants a playoff....


I've been broken. I steadfastly protested a playoff in college football, but it's becoming increasingly clear to me that it would likely be in the best interest of the league. Let's get one thing straight though, I don't like any of the proposals out there. I don't like the plus one, I don't like the four team, and I don't like President-elect Obama's eight team playoff. Why?
What many people don't like about the national championship as it stands is that it doesn't reward quality teams that don't fall in those two top slots. I don't like the idea of an eight team playoff, for example, because in some seasons, it won't go far enough, and in others it will go too far. For example, this season, if we take the top eight teams in the BCS and through them into a playoff, we would end up with Alabama, Texas Tech, Penn State, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, USC and Utah in the tournament. Three teams from the Big 12 South. Who wouldn't want that? Well, you know, besides the rest of the country. But really, those teams will have all played each other, and a winner has been decided. Like it or not, but Ball State hasn't been tested, and they find themselves undefeated. Why should they get bypassed when Oklahoma gets in?
That's all I want out of a tournament, without getting too deeply into it, (because Steve and I both have invested a lot of time in this topic before) just make sure that those that most deserve to be in a tournament that get in. In the basketball tournament, conference winners all make the tournament. In my mind, thats what we need to look at in a college football tournament, just an event that rewards teams for winning their conferences first.
As I mentioned in the parenthesees, we spent a lot of time on this last year, and we will be running the simulation based on last seasons simulation results leading into the bowl season. Just fair warning.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home