Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Strange but true

So, I actually had some free time to watch some hockey the other day, but the game I caught was the Rangers-Bruins contest on NBC. Every once in a while, while watching some sporting event, I hear some information that totally blows my mind. This time, it was that Bruin Marc Savard has the third most assists in the NHL since the lockout ended. No. Really. This guy:

Now, There are plenty of goofy looking guys in the NHL who can do some pretty magical things on the ice, and frankly, this is the worst picture of Savard out there, so I'm not going to hold it against him. What I really don't understand, however, is exactly who he's passing to in order to get these assists. The Bruins suck. The strange thing is, Joe Thornton was successful dishing out the puck while he was there too (Thornton is second on that list, with Sidney Crosby second). I took to the internet to try to figure out who on the Bruins roster is benefiting from all those assists.

Chuck Kobasew: Kobasew was acquired in a massive, Ference related trade last year and currently leads the B's in goals scored with 17. Thats not even half of the assists in Savard's stat column this year (he has 43). And let me tell you something, if Kobasew is your go to scorer, I think you may be in trouble as a team. The same goes for having Marco Sturm as your second leading scorer. Even if Savard got the assists for all of their goals, he would only have 33.

Zdeno Chara: Chara, the 9 foot tall defenseman is probably the closest to a star the Bruins have. I sincerely doubt they give assists to Savard every time Chara hip checks Petr Prucha into next Wednesday.

Andrew Alberts: Is the guy I went to high school benefiting from Savard's gifts? No. He couldn't score in high school, and that trait is translating well into the pros.

Andrew Ference: Whenever I write a hockey post, for some reason I feel like I always have to mention one of the Ferences. But he's not scoring. And he'll probably end up on the Blackhawks by the end of the week.

Manny Fernandez: If it were possible to give Fernandez a goal every time he lets in a wobbly wrister from Mathieu Dandenault, then I say what the hell, give Savard an assist too.

Marc Savard: I think the only logical explanation is that Savard is getting credited with a helper every time he puts the puck in the net himself. Sometimes, ik you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home