Saturday, November 10, 2007

I want that Oleg Kvasha tan.

A couple of weeks ago, I made reference to a fantasy hockey league I'm in with Kevin from Melrose Rocks, and he responded. In the interest of fairness and honesty, I should admit that, in fact, I lost. It wasn't a blow out, just 6-4-1 in our head to head league, which is nothing to sneeze at, in my opinion, because I got 4 points against a supposed expert on the subject. I'll take that.
However, with my defeat, I feel I must do something for Kevin that I wouldn't typically do to symbolize my defeat. Yes, friends, that is why we are getting a post on the New York Islanders.
Now, I don't know a whole lot about the Islanders, save for the fact that one of their best players in history didn't like Brian Bellows, they were pretty good in my formative years and they recently have a knack for developing and losing Minnesota born players, like Jason Blake and Mark Parrish. I do remember one story I have about the Islanders is the time last year me and my pal Eric played NHL '06 a bit last year, deciding to go with the random teams that the EA gods decided would pick for us. We played 2 games and I was the Islanders both times. Let me say, both times, Oleg Kvasha was a monster.
I was going to writes some flowery BS about how the Islanders made a wise decision I wouldn't have been able to make (judging by my 2 games playing as the Islanders on a video game), but when I went poking around for a little Oleg Kvasha info on the internets, I found a delightful quote in his Wikipedia page. "Kvasha has represented his native Russia in the 2002 Winter Olympics, where he graciously allowed the Canada and U.S, gold and silver, since he figured bronze would match his tan better." This article does not cite it's references or sources, indeed.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

That's awesome.

In other Minnesota/Islanders news Kyle Okposo of the Gophers was drafted by the Islanders. I [heart] Kyle.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Me: expert? I appreciate the kind words, but I would say 'smart ass' is more accurate. We had a good bout. Good luck the rest of the way! =)

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home