Monday, November 05, 2007

A closer look at some baseball rumors


One of my favorite sites out there, MLB Trade Rumors, recently released their top 50 free agents this offseason, as well as the projections for where those 50 players will end up. With 10 days remaining until the free agency period officially begins, I think we can safely take a look at the pending free agency period, with MLBTR's guidance, specifically looking at the two teams of note here at the Victoria Times, namely, the Twins and the White Sox.
The Twins have already indicated that they are taking a different path than I would have, by even negotiating to extend Joe Nathan. I would like to see him dealt for something offensive, as the Twins have a bevy of pitching prospects, as well as a fairly strong bullpen as it is. But I digress. MLBTR has the Twins letting Torii Hunter go (to Texas) as well as Carlos Silva (to the Mets). I don't have any disagreements there, although I would like to see the Twins try to resign both of them, Hunter because his loss would be devastating, and Silva because he is such good friends with Johan Santana. But like I said, I don't think the Twins will actually sign those guys, MLBTR does have the Twins making a couple signings, however, Kenny Lofton and Luis Gonzalez. While both would fill roles for the Twins, namely Center Field/lead off hitter and designated hitter, I can't help but be underwhelmed.
See, while these are temporary fixes, I don't think the Twins can afford temporary fixes. The Twins are deep in terms of pitching depth as an organization, but there is nobody waiting to break through and be the next center or left fielder. Or third or second baseman, for that matter. So why get 2 guys who maybe have one or two years left in the league, when there are trades to be made? And make no mistake, they are out there. One popular trade target has been the Pirates Jason Bay, who I think would be a good fit in Minnesota, which has a history of quality Canadian players, not the least of whom is Justin Morneau. MLBTR also mentions Coco Crisp as a possible target for center. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If we have the resources to acquire two talented players, I think I would prefer a trade for someone to play third or second. If the money is there, and these two trades are made (For Bay and an infielder), I would be able to live with a signing of Kenny Lofton. If we were to acquire a second baseman, I can see the Twins picking up Corey Koskie at third as well.
MLBTR has the Sox taking what I think to be a dangerous and even poor route, adding Aaron Rowand, Shannon Stewart and David Eckstein. What they branded as "Ozzie Ball" when they won the World Series in 2005, it was fine over the course of an entire season when their competition was weak, however now, in an era when the Tigers and Indians are scoring runs in droves, your team needs to do the same, rather than clawing for the odd run here and there. That means you need high OBP guys at the top of the order. Stewart fits the bill when he's healthy, but Eckstein does not. Aaron Rowand is more of a 5-6 hitter on a team full of 5-6 hitters. Another option put forth and is gaining steam around the internet is Joe Crede for Johnny Damon, who would also be a poor fit in Chicago. Of these moves, the best one the Sox could make is for Shannon Stewart, followed by Aaron Rowand, for no other reason than that fans seem to like him there.
I consulted Steve on this, and he is OK with replacing Juan Uribe with Eckstein, while he would like to keep Crede at third and not sign a left fielder, instead letting Josh Fields play out there. On his wish list are Torii Hunter (but he would be OK with Rowand if the sweepstakes are too high) and Luis Castillo, as the present state of 2nd base in Chicago is essentially catatonic.
Of course, these are all rumors and wish lists. Personally, I'm looking forward to a wacky and wild free agency period, beginning in 10 days.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

I take it you don't think much of Kubel in left? I thought he was looking pretty good out there towards the middle of the year and I'd be fine with him taking the full-time roll out there. I think Center field needs filling (I love Jason Tyner dearly, but he's not a full-time player). DH could possibly be filled by Garrett Jones in a pinch but I would really raelly really rather we get someone else. Center, second (unless Casilla improves), and third seem to be our gaping holes.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I think Kubel has a spot on the roster, be it Left or DH, but he can't play both. And if we could have someone play in the field and DH, I think I would rather have Morneau do that

9:34 AM  
Blogger thisisbeth said...

Heh, I guess my point is that you said left fielder, but if the Twins can find a guy who can hit well enough to DH, but his fielding isn't quite up to par, then we're not necessarily looking for a left fielder.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

True. But with Kubel's knees, I think we'd be well served by adding someone who could spell him a couple times a week

3:22 PM  
Blogger thisisbeth said...

He did say at towards the middle of the year that his knees felt fine, and I don't remember any end-of-the-year complaints. He could easily play left, and get someone like Garrett Jones/Jason Tyner (pinch-hitter/fourth outfielder) to fill in for Kubel every once in a while.

This is all my opinion, and based on my notedly poor memory, though.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home