Monday, July 16, 2007

I need a vacation

Before we begin, I should probably tell you. I won't be here next weekend, however, the Times will not lie dormant. It is bigger than just one man. There will be a guest writer for the Week in Review, and perhaps a guest post at another miscellaneous time this weekend. Be very excited.
ITEM ONE: The All-Star game was played on Tuesday to collective indifference across the country. There was an incredibly insipid tribute to Willie Mays. These things to me always seem to be so staged and lifeless. It would be touching if the whole thing wasn't choreographed and seemingly made for Fox programming. I'm all for heartfelt tributes, but this wasn't it. As for the game, I'm definitely a fan of making the game count. If I see the best players in the game, I want to see the best game possible, not some beer league, no hustle crapfest. It turns out, Ichiro certainly hustled, and he's one of my new favorite players.

ITEM TWO: The argument for why hockey is no good that seems to be bandied about the most by the anti-hockey pundits is the fighting. How can a sport be legitimate if there is fighting, etc. Well, this story on Derek Boogaard probably doesn't help.
Wait. There's fighting in boxing and MMA, but nobody seems to have a problem with that. I don't get it.

ITEM THREE: Oh right. The Twins. They've done pretty well since the All-Star break, huh? Yes, they swept the Oakland A's, that other team that is famous for their second half surges. I, as always, would like to see the Twins do a little retooling for the stretch run. I think the best fit would be a name not mentioned much in trade rumors. Just like Sean Casey last year with the Tigers, I think Kevin Millar would do well in a DH role here in Minnesota. He has a history of being a fire starter, which wouldn't be a bad thing in the Twins clubhouse, although they are showing more spunk of late. Additionally, like Phil Nevin last year, he could spell Justin Morneau at first every once in a while, and I don't believe the Orioles would ask for a whole lot. In any event, the O's have been pretty bad at trading lately, so that might play to the Twins favor as well.

ITEM FOUR: If you Google "Steve Finley steroids", the Victoria Times is the second link you'll see. I'm rather dissappointed that it took that post to get me noticed on the interwebs, but I'll take it. Hopefully, any new readers will enjoy rambling posts on the City of Victoria and blatant misuse of parenthesees.

Just four items. I'll have another post up either today or tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

I like using parenthesis (I often use them myself (even nesting them when I can (but I try to limit myself to three deep))) and try to finish the original sentence at the end of 'em!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good break!

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home