Sunday, February 18, 2007

Pitching.... Concerns?

As most of the sporting world realizes, today is Daytona 500 day, so I'm doing my best to flip to it every once in a while, even though I'm not sure I completely understand the allure (Left! Turn left!). At the same time, as most hockey fans realize, today is a good chance for the entire nation to see the top two young stars in the league, Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin, squaring off on NBC, so I am keeping my attention there as well. I've become pretty good with the remote on weekends.
However, my focus has drifted. I'm troubled, vexed even, by the state of the Twins right now. OK, that's not completely true. I'm worried about the future. This season, they may be buoyed by a suddenly explosive offense, but what of the future? I worry.
This year, of course, we can look forward to Johan Santana doing what he does, and Boof Bonser answering the question of "can he match his freshman success" and Carlos Silva will probably regain some of his success, keeping the ball on the ground this year. There are some unanswered questions for the back end of the rotation. Ramon Ortiz will probably be the fourth starter, and a mix of Sidney Ponson (a horrible cross of Kyle Lohse and Silva: Overweight sinkerballer with a bad attitude) and one of any number of prospects, either Matt Garza, Scott Baker or Glen Perkins seem to be the most likely options.
But what about next year? The stalwart, reliable Brad Radke hung up the glove this offseason, meaning the Twins will be without that reliable name penciled in, and Santana's contract will expire after 2008. Will he be resigned? Traded? And will Carlos Silva recover after last season? Will the prospects develop? Will Phenom Francisco Liriano pitch effectively again? It's a scary future indeed, made scarier by the recent squabble about the new stadium. If the deal falls through, will the Twins even make an effort to keep Santana for '09? And lets say the deal falls through because the landowners won't sell. Will Aaron Gleeman kill them with his own hands?
Back to the staff, however. I like the way the relief staff is shaping up. I like the idea of having some veterans stored up, like Randy Choate. Pitching coach Rick Anderson always seems to bring out the best in them. Just ask Dennys Reyes. Then there are homegrown talents like Jesse Crain and Juan Rincon which will more than adequately keep opponents in check before closer Joe Nathan comes in and blows those opponents away. If there is one thing the Twins system has always done, it's provide the big league squad with a good bullpen.
I'm pretty sure that the pitching staff won't be frightful this year, but I worry about there future for the first time in a while. I get the feeling that this season may be the last good chance the Twins will have at winning a Series because of the pitchers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home