Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Weak Week

In the spirit of Christmas, the Victoria Times will be donating 10$ to our favorite charity for every comment on this and every post through Christmas. So comment away!

This was a rather timid week of NFL action. The games were good, to be fair, but in the Minneapolis area, there wasn't a whole lot for the NFL on TV. This relieves me, because I have some work to do on Victoria-Weather, and the prospect of the simmed Emerald Bowl. Not to mention the real Poinsettia Bowl. (By the way, www.poinsettiabowl.com redirects to dyingwithcancer.com. How horrible is that? For everyone?) On with the NFL recap.

Finally Brad Childress had seen enough of Brad Johnson. He said, "Wow, Chad Pennington is at least nine times better than our quarterback. We should change it up." Well, I'm not sure he said it exactly like that. In any case, the Tavaris Jackson era has begun, and if nothing else, this means listening to AM radio for Sid Hartman and Pat Reusse trying to say "Tavaris" every week.

I've kept telling myself that Peyton Manning struggled early in his career too, despite his obvious physical ability, and that Eli would come along just fine, just like Peyton. But wow. Just wow. He got shown up by Jeff Garcia and his bloody stump for a hand. And not just that, Garcia was handing off to Brian Westbrook and throwing to, at best, Donte Stallworth. Maybe the stress is getting to Eli. Too bad he wasn't playing in a more relaxed setting, like, say, San Diego.

Speaking of San Diego, Ladanian Tomlinson is awesome. That's the profound statement I'll make on this game. But I don't want to sound hypocritical, so I'm staying off the Chargers bandwagon this year. I've always been a Bolts fan ever since Dan Henning was coach and Doug Henning was still, you know, alive. Not a huge stretch for Ryan Henning. In any case, I spit on their name and cursed Bobby Beathard to the heavens at the beginning of the season for dumping Drew Brees, so I don't feel comfortable just hopping back on the Chargers boat. I still say, though, if LT goes down, Philip Rivers doesn't quarterback his way out of a paper bag.

And speaking of the Mannings, Peyton came around. As long as the NFC South stays out of the playoffs, the Colts may be fine. And really, when you consider it, it's usually the teams with straight forward, Fred Taylor-like backs and tough, Jacksonville-like defenses that can bring down the Colts. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you are tough, you will beat the Colts.

I'm spent. Later, dudes. - Ryan

1 Comments:

Blogger thisisbeth said...

Great. I was planning on ignoring the Vikings this week, and now you're making me want to listen to them. I like it when little kids get to play sports with the big kids.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home