Sunday, December 24, 2006

Reviewing my skills as a baseball prognosticator.

In the spirit of Christmas, the Victoria Times will be donating 10$ to our favorite charity for every comment on this and every post through Christmas. So comment away!

Remember April? I do. Among other things, I celebrated a birthday (and you didn't get me ANYTHING), Britney Spears still wore underwear, and people were debating who was more womanly, Adam Morrison or Joachim Noah. Also, I had my first multipart season preview, looking at the forthcoming baseball season. How did I do, anyways? Well, since I'm avoiding the prospect of making sure the placemats are just right before the relatives arrive, I've got time to review.

National League East:
The east was odd when I picked at Is It Sports last year, because Washington did better than I thought, but everyone else did about the same. This year, The Braves dropped the ball for me, with the Mets and Phillies able to move up a position better than I had expected.
National League Central:
In the Central, other than the Cardinals, it was a bit more muddled. Milwaukee wasn't quite as strong as I thought, and the Cubs were worse than I could have expected. That whole Lake Michigan scene really screwed things up for me.
National League West:
The Dodgers had stronger starting pitching than I thought, and were able to leap past the Padres and Giants into first. The Rockies and Diamondbacks flipflopped at the bottom of the division.
American League East:
I was only one game off of a perfect AL East. At the end of the season, the Blue Jays snuck past the Red Sox. What is that?!
American League Central:
I had the audacity to think the Twins would finish in second in this division, behind Cleveland. Well, the Indians stunk and the Tigers were the story of the season.
American League West:
In the west, the top two and bottom two teams were flipflopped from what I had anticipated. If the Angels had just played to their potential, I might have really had something.
Postseason: I had three of the correct teams in the National League, the Padres, Mets, and Cardinals and successfully predicted that the Mets would make it to the NLCS. I incorrectly picked them to make the World Series. The AL picture was a little less inviting. I had the Yankees and A's correctly recieving playoff births, but then I had the Yankees advancing to face the Indians. In the end, I totally whiffed on the World Series for the second year in a row. Overall, however, I did marginally better than I did with last years projections, so that's its own Christmas miracle. - Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home