Monday, October 09, 2006

Point/Coutnerpoint. The MLB Playoffs

I really don't like to think about it anymore, but really, the baseball playoffs are ongoing. The two teams that render the most heartbreak deep in my soul are competing to get to the World Series for the AL, and the Mets-Cardinals are looking for the National League pennant. Steve at Is It Sports and I are writing mirror posts with our competing view on what will happen in these series.

Oakland A's versus Detroit Tigers - I can't think of a more intriguing matchup. On the one hand, if the A's stick around, I'll be reminded that they walloped the Twins in the ALDS. If the Tigers are the AL Champs, I'll rock slowly saying, "but we were better than them" while stifling tears. Either way, it's a depressing matchup.
I give the Tigers the edge in this match up, because they demonstrated something that the Twins did not against the A's. The Tigers actually know how to wait for thier pitches, and will let Barry Zito walk them, instead of flailing wildly at curveballs well out of the zone, unlike some teams I know. I need to relax.
The A's offense was stagnant, aside from Game 3 which was at home versus a pitcher with a broken shoulder, against the Twins. The Tigers were able to hit against a Yankees team that has considerably better pitching, top to bottom, and a better track record. Oakland does have the homefield advantage, however that doesn't really seem to be quite as important in these longer series, especially with teams as adept at winning on the road as the A's and Tigers.
I don't see any advantage for the A's, although I didn't in the divisional series either before Frank Thomas happened. I'm going to lean towards the Tigers in 6.

New York Mets versus St. Louis Cardinals - Hey, I've got the National League figured out! See, here's the thing. The Cardinals actually have a couple pitchers, like Chris Carpenter, and he'll steal a game or two, especially after Albert Pujols hits a homer or two of John Maine. The Mets, on the other hand, feature a rotation of John Maine, Tom Glavine, a chimpanzee and a plate of tuna casserole. On the other hand, they have several Carloses to hit home runs, a the best Jewish player in the league in right, Paul Lo Duca, and the greatest thing to ever happen to Queens, David Wright.
I really don't think the series is going to be as lopsided as people seem to suggest. Crappy pitching is the great equalizer, and while the Mets offense is vastly superior, So Taguchi could hit a homer off of the Mets. Looking at the facts, and ignoring the apocolyptic collapse the Cardinals had at the end of the year, I would almost be obliged to take the Cardinals. You I think....
No. I picked the Mets at the beginning of the year. With all respect to Will Leitch, I'm picking the Mets in seven.

No go read what Steve had to say. - Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home