Friday, November 25, 2011

Cooking with Ryan: Carnitas

Oh, you better believe I brought this home for Thanksgiving. Sure it's pork and sure it's actually Mexican, but dammit, it took me several hours to make, and it's GOOD. The recipe I used called for 3 pounds of pork shoulder. I used 5, and I kept the other measurements (except the chicken broth) the same, to cut down on the heat for my old, generally Scandinavian family, to much success. It still maintained flavor, and some heat, so it made them feel they were eating some Mexican food, but without the unpleasant side effects. So that was good.
I cooked the pork in a braising liquid that was filled with about 5 different chili powders or peppers and a good deal of citrus, and then finished it off in the oven to brown it up a bit more. I had some the night before as part of a taco. Here it is in its taco glory. Check out the flatware!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home