Wednesday, November 17, 2010

SUPER LINKS 10/17/10

So here's the deal... I was gone for a week and fell behind on the news. When Conan came back, he did so with a summary type of joke where he covered all the stories he missed while he was away. I was gone for a week. I think what I shall do all day today is catch up on my Google Reader (I have thus far caught up to November 10th, so I have a weeks worth of reading) and post links as I go, along with any commentary I might have. There will be no other post today, so keep refreshing this all day to keep up with some serious posting action. It's sort of a live blog.

The whole Cam Newton/Auburn situation was in the news. It seems like since the internet exploded, in situations like this, everyone now wants to vilify the media and NCAA who seek to punish people in this type of situation, rather than the athlete or university. They claim that the athlete SHOULD be payed because of how much money they make for the school, and amateurism is total BS. I say that only a few schools make that kind of money, and it's more BS to make exceptions for the schools that DO make the money and the athletes that are really good. I had to go to school to get my job, and athletes should have the same expectations.

Turns out it was a Minnesotan that wanted to see Grady Sizemore's doodle.

I wonder who gets to be the last guy picked here?

This can't be a real thing, can it?

Nice shootin' Tex.

As I mentioned yesterday, Brad Childress is on his way out of town, in no small part because nobody on the team seems to like him. One of my coworkers at Real Job Inc actually blamed this (and the loss in Chicago) on the wide receivers, specifically Sidney Rice (injured) , Berrian (injured) and Harvin (also injured) for not showing up and playing. Well, actually, he said Harvin scored then acted like he was "Touchdown Jesus" then later said he was hurt and couldn't play. Obviously, all of the problems with the team are related to those WRs, not the geriatric quarterback or the incredible overmatched coach. Oh, and Adrian Peterson fumbles too much, Delmon Young doesn't hustle, the entire Timberwolves roster outside of Kevin Love is overpaid and Robbie Earl is the worst thing to happen to the Wild since their inception.
But I'm calling Percy Harvin Touchdown Jesus from now on.

Joe Morgan isn't coming back to Sunday Night Baseball. Perhaps he and Joe Theismann can commiserate about being incomprehensibly poor, out of work color guys while Chris Spielman still has a job.

It's almost noon, and still no screen grabs!

I feel as though I may have mentioned this, but the best hitter on the Twins doesn't like the fences at Target Field. Going to be hard to change all that limestone, I would have to imagine.

This is sort of like the Scrabble version of Dennis Rodman.

I was just at K&G and almost picked out this exact same suit.

BREAKING NEWS TO INTERRUPT THE LINKATHON: Gardenhire won manager of the year. Absolutely ridiculous.

Cameron Maybin is another player that got traded in the past week. I don't know how much this helps the Padres, who were certainly looking more for power in their lineup than another speedster, I have to suspect.

It wouldn't be a problem for Brian Wilson, whose beard is made of delicious licorice.

There was a boxing match over the weekend. People still like boxing, right?

Why can't Oregon just lose? Oh right, they play in the Pac 10.

Even though they lost, I'm really happy to see Colt McCoy doing well. He went to Texas because that's the home town. He definitely has the humble aw shucks attitude that most in the media swoon over, but he isn't overbearing or overmarketed. Even when he was in the public eye, it was mostly because of the team he played for, and not because he was an attention whore. Not saying Tebow is an attention whore, but it's TEBOW who is the center of attention, as he still gets plaudits while not playing in Denver, while McCoy is relatively unnoticed while starting in Cleveland.

Well, this worked pretty well for Tony Kornheiser, so I'm sure this will be good.

New York area high school sports are so exciting, they are heart stopping!

Buster Posey and Neftali Feliz were the rookies of the year. I can't disagree with either of those, especially Posey's. Feliz, as a reliever, could be questioned somewhat, but there is a decent chance that this is the greatest achievement Feliz ever has.

So Donovon McNabb got benched late against the Lions, then just before the Redskins were massacred by the Eagles (I think massacred might be inappropriate wherein discussing "Redskins" (but if we are discussing "Redskins" and "inappropriate" I feel as though we have opened a new can of worms that cannot be closed in a liveblog/linkfest(triple parentheses!))) he was signed to an enormous new contract. I'm beginning to feel as though Washington has less idea as to where the team is going than the Vikings do.

I am a professional meteorologist, and I feel that this is an incredibly lame team name.

Forgive me, but I thought for sure Texas was going to rescind Tre' Newton's scholarship. Good for them, keeping it in place.

The GM's would like to add an extra playoff team. Isn't part of what makes the MLB postseason special the scarcity of positions in it's post season?   And isn't the length of the season part of what detractors hate about the game? And doesn't this "bonus playoff team" scenario open things up all the more for Ron Gardenhire to claim he is a good manager by sneaking in the playoffs despite mismanaging an excellent team?

Ah yes, the other trade from the Marlins. Dan Uggla was traded to division rival Atlanta for another All Star, Omar Infante. I think the Braves almost certainly got the better end of this deal, but what do I know, you know?

Oh awesome news for me here in Eagan.

Whoa, I just reached the SUPERLINKS in the Reader. We're in the homestretch now.

Hey son, you've been traded! 

I did it! I made it through the entire Reader! This was the last post in said Reader. I did not read it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home