Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cooking with Ryan: Black bean quesadillas and zucchini fingers

I can't say that I have ever had zucchini before today. I certainly spent way too much time at the grocery store looking for zucchini, which, as it turns out, aren't quite as big as I expected. I thought they would be the same size as the cucumbers, but they weren't even close. Anyways, I got the meat out of them (can you even eat the skin?)  and dredged them and fried it. They never got crispy or anything. It sort of reminded me of fish. I can't see myself getting zucchini again any time in the future. It was another fun veggie to the cut though.
This was actually a recipe for quesadillas, unlike last week, which was just a botched recipe for burritos. This called for mashed black beans, which I didn't do, because black beans don't easily mash in a bowl with a fork. I was inordinately intimidated by this one, I think  because there were so many things I had never worked with, even in the quesadilla. There was the red onion (kind of sweet. I used way too much though), the zucchini and I got to use red wine vinegar again. I could kind of taste it this time.
I went golfing today and went out to eat afterwards, so I wasn't terribly hungry and frankly was worn out, so the cooking wasn't as rewarding as usual, so I don't think I can get you a very good assessment of how the food actually was, because the secret ingredient (love) wasn't as well incorporated as I might have hoped. Heres what it all looked like. Not very interesting with the colors, is it? There should have been salsa or something on top. Maybe mango based.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home