Saturday, May 22, 2010

Let's open this one up to the readers
















Ever since what can only be described as the Guerrier Incident, my fellow coworkers at Real Job Inc. and I have been in the throes of a voracious debate. Well, I've mostly stayed out of it, but I have been included in the e-mail back and forth, and I am mostly intrigued by the arguments posed by either side. I'll discuss my stance on the issue at a later date (though I'm sure you all know what it is), but I thought I would put the question to the readers.
Who is (or was) the better manager, Tom Kelly or Ron Gardenhire?
Kelly, obviously, won the World Series twice in his tenure, though it could be said that he was handed his team in '87 and carried it into '91. Overall, he had a losing record for his career, including 11 losing seasons.
Gardenhire has had all but 1 of his seasons end with winning records, though it could be said that he was handed his team in 2002. His teams also have a greater payroll and arguably has had a better team top to bottom than Kelly ever had. Gardenhire is 1-5 in playoff series for his career.
So what do you think?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I'd take TK in a heartbeat.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seconding the TK love. I guess another query's "Who's the best Twins manager of all time?"

4:56 PM  
Blogger thisisbeth said...

I think they both had their pros and cons. I suspect had the tables been turned (Gardy managing from 87-01 and TK from 02-present) we'd have nostalgic memories of Gardy and say he could do better than TK.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home